hf1

What are your reasons for using cloth?

My avatar
drummy
Clothie
Clothie

Re: What are your reasons for using cloth?

Postby drummy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Well i switched because of the prospect of having 2 in nappies at the same time and a seriously tight budget (DP went back to uni this year) it was also to try and save a bit of money in the long run. I've also switched to washable wipes too as i cudnt believe how much we were spending on them a year and the re-usable ones work so much better!

Vicx

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 pm

We switched to cloth because ds was out-weeing a size 5 disposable, but was too skinny for +5, and as soon as he'd weed in one, it would sag and leak. We were freecycled some kushies, which are brilliant with a bamboo booster, but I have now fallen in love with pocket nappies (Ebay cheapies), and apart from using Nature Babycare nappies at bedtime, which are the only size 5 that can 'cope', he is in cloth most of the time now. I also like the fact that we're reducing waste in landfill, and saving money too, but the reason we swapped was more to finding a solution to a better fit/higher absorbency rather than anything else, but the other plusses are just a bonus!

My avatar
GingerNic
Clothie
Clothie

Postby GingerNic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I'd always wanted to try cloth for the environmental side of things, but living in Wales and not owning a tumble drier made me wonder about the practicalities of drying them all. We used sposies for the first 3 months, which took us up to 3 weeks ago, but I still felt guilty about it, especially as I work for the Environment Agency and see firsthand the landfill problem.

The final catalyst was when Harry started out-peeing size 2 pampers, and the 3's didn't fit round his skinny legs :giggle: I ordered some flips and totsbots to try, and it's kind of spiralled from there :D I didn't realise how cute they were too, and how easy to look after and dry....the flip inserts dry in about 2 hours on the radiator racks!

I'm now addicted....help!! :oops:

My avatar
Saz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Saz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:35 pm

The main reason we used cloth with DS was simply that it seemed the normal thing to choose to me :)

My Mum talked a lot about using them with me and my brother and even though that was pre dispo times I just never saw dispo's as the norm when I started thinking about nappies when I was pg. The cost and environment factors as well as not wanting too many chemicals near DS reaffirmed things...but in the main cloth just seemed the 'natural' (no pun intended :giggle: ) choice to me :mrgreen:

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

GingerNic wrote:I'd always wanted to try cloth for the environmental side of things, but living in Wales and not owning a tumble drier made me wonder about the practicalities of drying them all. We used sposies for the first 3 months, which took us up to 3 weeks ago, but I still felt guilty about it, especially as I work for the Environment Agency and see firsthand the landfill problem.

The final catalyst was when Harry started out-peeing size 2 pampers, and the 3's didn't fit round his skinny legs :giggle: I ordered some flips and totsbots to try, and it's kind of spiralled from there :D I didn't realise how cute they were too, and how easy to look after and dry....the flip inserts dry in about 2 hours on the radiator racks!

I'm now addicted....help!! :oops:

Nicola :wave: can't believe I've 'bumped' in to you on another forum, from rats to cloth nappies lol :giggle: Harry's so cute, we'll have to get together some time, I'll swap you ratty cuddles for fluff stroking :hohoho:

My main reason was the cuteness factor, then cost, then the landfill issue. Since getting in to cloth I've become much more passionate about the environmental issues and not having nasty chemicals against DD's skin.

My avatar
lacemakingmum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby lacemakingmum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm

I was given some terry squares which I had intend to use once P had grown a bit to reduce the dispo use and cost but due to his EB he was getting blisters where Boys don't need blisters so the cloth started at about 6 weeks once I'd done a bit of research and we haven't looked back.

Owl will be in cloth from day one (whatever my mother says!)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:27 pm

just to reiterate about saving money, even if you have spent a huge amount on pretty nappies you havent thrown them in the bin! If you spend £15 on a nappy you can get £10 back for it so those of you who have spent lots of money on cloth think of it that way you wont be throwing them out when you have finished you will be re selling or reusing them :wink:

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby hermya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:48 pm

To be honest, I'm too lazy to contemplate going to the supermarket every week for nappies and to keep having to drag my bin out every few days.

This way the nappies come to me through the post and I only have to take them to the washing machine and back.

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 am

My main one was landfill I hate the thought of throwing away all those nappies, sometimes you can't avoid it but imo disposables should be second choice in all households.
Plus I liked the thought of soft fabric next to his bum not rougher paper stuff.
Best decision I made!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat