Best for big poo?

My avatar
adonoghue
Clothie
Clothie

Best for big poo?

Postby adonoghue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi,
I'm new-ish to cloth, so thanks in advance for your advice!
So DD (2 months, pushing 11 lbs, :bf: ) seems to 'save up' for one or maybe two almighty poos a day :shock: So I need a system that will be bombproof. Also, a good drying time b/c no tumble drier.

Considering:
MEOS or ME Sandys
TotsBots Bamboozle stretch (conflicting comments on drying time?)
Bimble or Bumble or something (confused with those!)
for wraps:
ME Rikki or Airflow
Bummis (how do these compare with other PULs?)
wool for night?

Like idea of pockets and I'm sure DH would prefer :wink: , but concerned that they wouldn't be as leak proof.
Bonus if some part of stash could be used on DS, who's 2.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Best for big poo?

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 pm

As pockets only have one leg barrier, as opposed to a fitted and wrap which have two, there's more chance of leaks. But it does depend on your LO's shape and the fit of the nappy. Pockets are quicker drying than fitteds. Personally, we only use fitteds here. (Habit I got into with a power-peeing toddler who could soak through all pockets.) Serged leg cuffs (frilly ones, like on a Sandy's) are sometimes preferred for containment. But turned and topstitched nappies (straight legs) work really well if the fit is good. It's just a case of trial and error, really. If you're after something to use on both your LOs, a birth to potty nappy is the obvious choice - perhaps something like a Baby Beehinds? Definitely look at the classifieds section, as you'll find lots to try. ;)

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 am

Separate nappy and wrap is definitely more bombproof than pockets AIOs or pop ins - I like the 'belt and braces' security! Actually, I prefer traditional terries (bamboo ones though) to get the best fit, but tuck them up around the legs to get a good seal there. I LOVE wool at night, and during the day, although maybe not when an explosion is due!

My avatar
adonoghue
Clothie
Clothie

Postby adonoghue » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks, soupdragon & little pants.
So, fitted nappies are what I'm after. I'll probably get a combination of small size to use right now with DD and some onesize for later...Best for easy drying?
I'm looking at the classifieds and trying to learn all the abbreviations and terms :)
(by the way, what's OBV?)
@ soupdragon--thanks for explaining serged vs turned.
@ Little pants--do you use wool covers over the bamboo terries?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 am

OBV organic bamboo velour, its a luxurious nappy fabric.

I would agree with fitteds. You can use wool over any nappy, but PUL (plastic) or fleece wraps can be used too. Bamboo terries will be quicker drying that nappies as they fold out flat. I wouldn't worry too much about drying time i never use my dryer. Especially with summer coming up you can line dry, but otherwise an airer inside or an airing cupboard works well.

quick drying nappies would be microfibre and cotton rather than bamboo BUT thats because they hold less water so you compromise on absorbency I got away with cotton nappies for first 5 months but my daughter then needed something like bamboo to hold all the power piddling!

I would just get a few different ones from classifiedas and have a play see what works and sell on what doesnt Hvae fun!

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 am

adonoghue wrote:@ Little pants--do you use wool covers over the bamboo terries?

Yes, they work really well over them - well over any nappy really, but soakers , skirties and shorties seem to be better than longes over traditional nappies.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat