My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Stripping nappies after thrush?

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd check in and also use the opportunity to pick your brains. :)

Iris has now been in cloth for three weeks and will be four weeks old tomorrow. She’s had a tiny bit of nappy rash, which I’ve been treating with Drapolene. However, when the HV came on Friday she thought that Iris also has a touch of thrush, so she’s prescribed some clotrimazole cream. I’m using the clotrimazole cream three times a day and then using the Drapolene for changes in between. I’m also making sure we’re lining the nappies with a polyester fleece liner (from Little Green Earthlets) in order to try and protect the nappies from the creams. So, on to the questions:

Should I strip the nappies, given the thrush situation?
If so, when (after thrush is cleared, now, both)?
How do I strip them?
Is using a liner enough to protect the nappies from the creams I’m using? Should I be using something else?
Would Metanium be better (or worse?!) on the nappies than Drapolene? (Am I using the right cream?)
How regularly should I strip nappies?

I’ll also put an update/review of the nappies I bought, in case someone finds it useful, in the newborn section – although it’s still very early days!

Here’s a quick pic of my little girl:

Thanks for any help, ladies. :)

Nichola

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Stripping nappies after thrush?

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Ooooooooooooh super cute!!

Provided your nappies are being as absorbent as you need and not smelling when wet you shouldn't need to 'strip' as such which is washing until no bubbles remain in the rinse (some people do a full dose of detergent then wash until no bubbles)
However - until the thrush is gone you should wash at 60 otherwise you risk re-infecting the skin...

Cream-wise we don't get on with any of the 'standard' nappy rash type creams and use shea butter or the earth friendly baby company's nappy rash salve (the northern essence one is nice too)...

I have only had problems with creams clogging the nappies if I've put it on too thick and not rubbed it in IYSWIM and also that can cause worse rashes for us as the skin couldn't breathe...

Different people swear by different creams and cream routines though :)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:49 pm

We don't seem to have a problem with absorbency (perhaps that's mainly because she's still so tiny?!). My washing routine is to do a 30c wool wash without detergent (instead of a cold pre-wash; our washer has a limited number of cycles and no cold rinse option :huh:), followed by a 60c wash with one capful of Ecover liquid. So it seems that should be sufficient from an infection control POV. Jolly good. :)

I was using Earth Mama's Angel Baby Bottom Better Balm (or whatever the catchy name is) and while that seemed to stop the rash from getting worse, it didn't make it better. So I switched. I'm trying not to put any cream on too thick. And I am trying to make sure she's thoroughly dry before putting on a new nappy (fleece wipes are good for drying, I've found). I think it might have been shop bought wipes that caused the problems. :( I've ordered some more cloth wipes from Wee Notions and am just using water to clean her now - I think because she's so fair, she has quite sensitive skin. It just feels awful to have such a tiny little thing get nappy rash so soon. :(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Soupdragon wrote:I think because she's so fair, she has quite sensitive skin. It just feels awful to have such a tiny little thing get nappy rash so soon. :(
I agree - Isabelle was 4lbs7oz and we struggled with rashes from before we brought her home from the hospital - until it finally dawned on me she's allergic to disposables and was irritated/allergic to paper liners (which she seems to have grown out of as we've just started using paper liners part-time for poos now with good success! Disps still allergic to tho') and we also had problems with shop bought wipes and it was so heart-breaking to see her with such sore skin and still so small!

Wipes wise we found the earth-friendly baby company wipes are the only ones not to cause a rash (they actually help clear it!! calendula and cammomile are great healers!!) and now we're able to use the h*ggies pure wipes with no issues - we got rashes from reusable wipes tho' :(

Hard to do and keep them warm (and cuddled!)at this age but can you give her any decent amount of nappy free time? I sometimes fed her with a towel on my lap for the inevitable puddles while feeding if she objected to wriggling on the mat...

Hope you fix it soon xxxx

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Iris really likes to be held - she's not good at being put down unless she's sound asleep. And when she's awake she's usually just feeding, so nappy-free opportunities are limited. I have tried though, wrapping a towel around her and placing a muslin square under her bottom as insurance. But I've still ended up covered in poo. :lol: At least it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.

And thank you. :smile:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 pm

we used to use a loosely nippa'ed terry sqaure or a loose cotton nappy for as close as nappy free time aswe could sometimes get.
still now if boos bum is bad then he runs arouns in a loose nappy and no wrap...i juat have to remeber beofre picking him up! (hes a child who does giant wees where one soaks the whole nappy!!)

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Ohh, such a cutie.
I agree, as long as you are washing at 60 then you should kill off any thrush baddies from the nappies. Nappy free time if your home is warm enough for it.

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 pm

Aww she's soo sweet, cant offer any more advice than the others have given :D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:11 pm

cute baby, and just the same advice as the others have given.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat