No wonder the 2008 report was never publicised

My avatar
Vigornia
Clothie
Clothie

No wonder the 2008 report was never publicised

Postby Vigornia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

Sorry I don't post here much, but I just needed a :x

I have a friend on facebook who is a friend of my husband, who works for the marketing department of the environment agency. I have no idea why, or how he got the job, as he seems to be very anti anything green. Not that long ago I had a massive argument with him about organic food and free range eggs as he is totally opposed to them. I had quite a few friends message me saying "who is this ****?" and he did eventually concede defeatbecause he didn't really have a reasonable argument.

Now he rears his ugly head again, on babykind's facebook poll. He says "I was working in the EA's science dept during the preparation of that report - the second version at least...As I recall the second report came to the same fundamental conclusion as the first, which is why we decided not to bother publicising it much (I was on that department's publicity team)."

Now I was under the impression that the second report came to the conclusion that cloth was 40% better than disposables providing a sensible washing regime was used.

If this is the type of person that the EA employs, i.e. totally anti-green, it's no wonder then that this report never got publicised. He obviously hasn't read it, and has no clue about how people who actually use cloth nappies go about it all. That's the reason why the original report was so flawed, the assumptions it made about washing nappies were horrendously innaccurate.

It just makes me so mad that there are people like this who have the power (although I doubt he was directly involved) to block perfectly sound environmentally friendly practices simply because they know nothing about it and don't really care.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: No wonder the 2008 report was never publicised

Postby doobykat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 pm

:x :x Makes you mad, doesn't it?! :x :x
People just assume that the washing and drying part of cloth nappies makes them as environmentally unfriendly as sposies :evil:
Never mind that A rated washing machines are more efficient (power & water usage wise) than they've ever been, and never mind that there are envirnmentally sound washing detergents (Method, Ecover, Ecozone balls to name but a few) these days.
Personally, my nappies have only ever been tumble dried twice, and that was just to finish them off during the winter (when my stash was somewhat smaller than it is now :giggle: )
Still, at the end of the day, I can live with myself knowing that I did my bit to try & make the world my daughter will be living in that bit "greener" :lookround:

Dooby x
Last edited by doobykat on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Hopefully they will open a landfill site at the bottom of his back garden.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

northernruth wrote:Hopefully they will open a landfill site at the bottom of his back garden.

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:25 pm

northernruth wrote:Hopefully they will open a landfill site at the bottom of his back garden.

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: And fill it just with stinky, poo-filled sposies!! :wink: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Ugh sooo frustrating, what is it with these people?!
People don't realise that even if you use a tumble drier these nappies arent sitting in landfill for years and years like disposables.

My avatar
ruth+daisy+poppy
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ruth+daisy+poppy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Didn't the first report assume people ironed their nappies!? :x

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 pm

AGGHhhh! :x

I know who you mean as I got drawn into the organic food / super dairy arguement, normally I avoid these things especially with people who I don't know but that particular person was such a pompous t*** that I really couldn't help myself, spouting utter nonsense and then trying to justify it by saying, oh I work for the EA :roll: :evil:

Can we all have his address, we'll post him some poo :giggle:
I remember watching an interview with Sharon Osbourne, someone had upset her when Kelly was a baby so she filled a Tiffany box with poo, re-tied the white ribbon and sent it to them :hohoho:

My avatar
Vigornia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Vigornia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 pm

LOL Zoey and northernruth, now there's a plan :hohoho:

He really is a pompous t***, I never realised before the super dairy thing as he's quite quiet. But this is the second time now he's gone off on one about a link I've posted on my fb, thinking he knows better just because of where he works. If he replies again he'll definitely be nuked from my fb friends and told exactly what I think of him.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat