hf1

Which nappies for newborn?

My avatar
Mrs Harvey

Which nappies for newborn?

Postby Mrs Harvey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi there,
I'm brand spanking new to the site-so hello! (shall post in the newbies bit soon!!)
I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby and intend to use cloth from the very beginning. I've been researching and intend to buy a few samples of weenotions, bumgenius and a few others to trial out before buying lots, but I just wondered if anyone here could recommend a good nappy for a newborn? I will be breastfeeding and its a boy :D
Any pointers and advice very welcome!! Thank you!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Which nappies for newborn?

Postby Rae » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:39 pm

I really like 2 part nappies on newborns, due to the containment of newborn poo. If you look in the reviews section, you should find it really helpful, as there are some extensive reviews of newborn nappies there,

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi, a good place to start would be looking at the reviews in the newborn review section (I have a long essay in there).

A little tip from me would be to buy cheaper but reliable not super pretty nappies in the small size and then splash out when they get to the larger size as they will be in them for ages! And if Ben is anything to go by expect up to 12 nappies per day - that was 11 changes and 1 got wet before the nappy was done up - this lasted for months! Then get pretty wraps or wool for the outside.

My all time best nappy for a newborn would be a 40x40cm bamboo terry square - they were just always so perfect and then they are all still in use now as boosters for pocket nappies and night nappies so if you want to make your nappy spending go further they are perfect!

If I had a tiny new baby again we would stick with bamboo and size 1 little lambs but get a weenotions wrap or 2 and pixie knits wool!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 pm

Hello and welcome! Ditto what Annette said although our terries were 50cm ones. We also liked bimble and bambeasy size 0s and diddy diapers. Try and get them secondhand if you can as they grow out of them really quickly. Motherease Rikki and Weenotions wraps were our faves too.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:13 pm

I agree about buying cheap and boring in the small size and then you can splash out of some really funky mediums. Ben was 7lb 15oz when he was born and now at nearly 8 weeks is around 11lb and starting to fit into mediums which should then last him a long while.

For newborn nappies, 2 parters are probably most reliable. And I have found the Little Lambs to be great. The Bumgenius are a lovely slimish fit for a btp pocket and I have found it reliable. I also like small fuzzis but we have 6 old ones and they are a much better fit than a new one we bought which is much much larger :roll:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat