Dealing with 'solids'

My avatar
adonoghue
Clothie
Clothie

Dealing with 'solids'

Postby adonoghue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 am

Caution: poo talk... :giggle:
I'm doing alright with DD and her bf poo, but I'm falling down with DS...His 'solids' that aren't solid, but sticky and bitty and squished everywhere, including outside the bounds of the disposable liner...How thorough do you have to be getting everything off before pailing the nappy? and what's your method? and if you use washable wipes, then you've got a wipe full of poo as well, so then what? :-?
I've seen these sprayers that attach to your loo but I think anything short of a power washer wouldn't shift this sticky stuff :giggle:
Am I just being a whimp? :roll:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Dealing with 'solids'

Postby choccylisa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:03 am

:giggle: :giggle:

I just take off what I can with a bit of loo roll, dump it down the loo and dry pail the nappy. I wash every 2-3 days, and haven't had stains yet. Ds2 is very good at shifting the fleece liner I use too so it never hits just that either! I wouldn't worry, and if it does get stained, just put it out in the sun wet, and keep damping down the stain when it dries and the sun will bleach it out :wink: When you put your nappies into the machine to wash, just use a cold rinse cycle first to rinse off all the poo then wash as usual, the hot wash will make the nappies stain but the cold rinse will get rid of the poo before it sets the stains in deeply iykwim.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 am

WSS

My avatar
TheWaterHorse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby TheWaterHorse » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 pm

I had this when I first started weaning dd - was a real shock after the "easy" bf poos. Like the others, I use toilet paper to get as much off the nappy as I can then dry pail. I tried holding them in the flush a couple of times but didn't make much difference and was just messy.

I also use loo roll to get as much off dd as I can before using normal wipes, so that the wipes aren't covered.

Happy to say as weaning has progressed, nappies have improved and most of the time it does just roll off the nappy and into the loo. Much better!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm

ben's poos were never solid! I could reach the shower head from the bath to the toilet and a full power spray would shift everything off.

Alternatively you can have a spare bucket in the bath spray the nappy off into the bucket and tip it down the loo.
We then just dry pailed and washed every few days.
Have to admit i prefer it now it goes straight into the toilet!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I would get most of it down the loo and sometimes rinse in the utility room sink, other wise just dray pail and wash xx

My avatar
sausages
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sausages » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 pm

We have just started solids, so i feel ya! :) Luckily so far the disposible liners are catching it all so i'm so help.

My avatar
adonoghue
Clothie
Clothie

Postby adonoghue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Glad no one has said I'm just being a wimp yet :wink:
So I'll have to add loo roll to the changing station arsenals. And make sure to do the extra rinse cycles.
And look forward to potty training :giggle:

My avatar
Gladys
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Gladys » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I found that using big nappy liners like PHP (Perfectly Happy People) liners help. Also pocket nappies are easier as less nooks and cranies. If not hold the nappy down the loo and flush, then dry pail or wet bag. The sun does wonders for stains. Bamboo wipes are ace! It's all better than a bin full of poo! :widesmile:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat