hf1

Help. Which of my nappies do i start with for DC2.

My avatar
Cazzr
Clothie
Clothie

Help. Which of my nappies do i start with for DC2.

Postby Cazzr » Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 am

Ok, so DS2 due any day now. :waiting: Have fully embraced the idea of using cloth this time round and have bought a 'stash' of nappies ready for when he arrives. Think I am addicted to be honest and need to stop the buying...

Anyway, will list out what I have and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction to choose what to put on him after the first week or so (we have some sposies till meconium finished/umbilical cord healed).

For reference, baby is likely to be long (DH and I are both 6ft2). DS1 was a slim (not skinny) 9lb 3oz with decent thighs but aparently could have been 2lb heavier and still about right for his length :shock:

5 x tots bots v1 easyfits in bamboo (i know v2 are better but they were a bargain buy at mothercare and couldn't resist)
10 x bumbles (5 are eco ones) btp
2 x bambini bamboo btp (new version)
5 x bambinex bamboo btp (new version)
1 x onelife btp + 2 x Motherease OS
4 x tinynipper pockets btp
10 x tots bots pocket tots btp
Lotsa cotton terries and muslins and 2 bamboo terries (tho trying to use these for DS1 who isn't dry at night and are trying minki yoyos on)

plenty of airflow + rikki wraps in small/med/large and several nippas
I have loads of boosters, mainly bamboo but some microfibre and cotton too.

DS1 has always been a big drinker/wetter so thought I'd be prepared with DS2. :)

I'm swaying towards pockets to start with to keep bulk down and make changes simpler to start with, but aware that I plan to :bf: so containment will be important. :)

Thanks in advance.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help. Which of my nappies do i start with for DC2.

Postby rachymoo » Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am

To be honest, most people find that BTP/'one size' nappies are very bulky on newborns and don't really get a good fit until at least 12lb. They started fitting my son well from about a month old, and he wasn't exactly a little baby :giggle:

I would say the terries with gusseted wraps (Rikki etc) would be the best for containment, although I know terries aren't the simplest option! At first I mainly used size 1 Little Lambs, small Motherease Sandys, Diddy Diapers, Bimbles, Tots Bots Teenyfits and terries. All with Little Lamb wraps, and Motherease Rikki/Airflow, and fleece soakers/wraps.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am

Id use your terries for a few weeks before going to BTP. PUL wrap wise yes, anything with the leg gussets should help with containment.

My avatar
Cazzr
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Cazzr » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for replies.
Am happy to use the terries (or muslins) to start with and have been practicing the folds, tho I suspect DH will 'struggle'.
That said, it's quite possible by the time we start using cloth he may be about 12lb! DS1 put on a lb a week after 1st week (when he maintained his birth weight) so if this one is bigger (not convinced that he will be) at the start, by 2 weeks we could be ready!

Will pockets not contain so well from newborn then? They seem to suggest they would be ok from 8lb, tho I know leg chunkiness plays a part here...

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

generally pockets wotn sit as snuggly around the legs to contain BF poop! I didnt find they fit well enough to use them properly til around 4-6 weeks (my youngest was 9lb born and 9lb7 by 5 days old)

My avatar
Cazzr
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Cazzr » Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am

Oki, will bear this in mind then when it comes to checking fit..
So, how snug a fit round the legs to the pockets/wraps etc need to be to keep it in?
I get that with terries/fitteds the nappy itself is meant to do the containing more than the wrap which we obviously wouldn't have with the pockets so I'm wondering when i'll know when i can safely start using them?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 am

you can just keep trying them, generally once they bulk out on the legs a little you are ok !

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 am

Give them all a go :lol: you ll soon figure out which ones do the job.

I d say the same as others that two parters are more likely to contain everything, but I ve never tried pockets on a newborn so I don t know.

I used muslins with a fleece liner for the first 10-14 days. Meconium Didn t last long and Didn t stain anything of mine and I just made sure the fleece liner rested on the cord rather than anything else. I then went onto tots bots bamboozles, geobel, bambinex and nippa d prefolds and some other small/ size 1 fitted that I can t remembered their names :giggle: all with a size thirsties duo wrap or a motherease rikki size 1 or 0. Just to give you an idea. My dd2 was a little 7lb 2 though so a bit smaller than yours is likely to be.

Good luck and just enjoy trying them all on :babyroll:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 pm

I agree with what the others have said about the pockets. Its not so much that they are pockets that is the problem, its that they are btp so they tend not to fit the top annd bottem end of the weight range very well at all. We used cloth from birth and the muconium doesnt stain at all, but bf poop does :wink:
We mainly used teenyfitsand diddy diapers to start with. my little man was 8lb7oz. He is nearly 12 weeks now and still fits in his teenys with tons of room to spare. he is really long and skinny and still doesnt fit int he v1 easyfits that we have as we get bad leg gape so they leak at the legs. The nappys we reach for most now are Little lambs. the bamboo ones are fab and I would deffo recomend gettign some.
To check the fit of the nappy, put your finger in the leg holes and it should feel tight but not too tight. if it feels sllose arround your finger then the nappy is likely to leak
Here is an ebay seller that is selling them with the onld LL label on them. Ive got 10 of the new label ones and 10 of the old label ones and they are exactly the same. These are £55 plus postage for 10 so work out really really cheep
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-X-LITTLE-LAMB-BAMBOO-WASHABLE-RE-USEABLE-NAPPIES-/280675990739?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item415997bcd3

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat