hf1

Elastic keeps going - coincidence?

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Elastic keeps going - coincidence?

Postby rachymoo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Over the past week or so I've noticed that the leg elastic has gone in about 3 of our nappies! Hope this doesn't sound stupid but could it be something to do with the washing machine causing it? It's just strange that it's happened to 3 nappies at around the same time. Luckily so far it's only been boring nappies like Little Lambs etc but I'm worried if it keeps happening, that it'll happen to one of our nice nappies :(

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Elastic keeps going - coincidence?

Postby anothersquish » Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm

hmm, how do you store them prior to washing? Are the nappies that have gone older ones or did you buy them new?

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:44 pm

One was older, the other two were pretty new. I just dry pail them and then chuck them all in the machine, I dont soak them or anything as I know that can cause damage... argh, I'm scared to wash our nice nappies now!

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 pm

It does seem strange, I had a couple of UDs that had gone elastic (before I knew enough about cloth to realise tbh!) but never had the problem develop on any of mine and I dry pail, wash between 30 and 60 with biological powder or soap nuts. Sorry cant help more!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Hmm, maybe coincidence then. If it happens to any others though then I will start to panic, lol.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Tumble drying can weaken the elastic - that's the only thing I can think of though.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh a thought, how do you dry them?

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Tue May 17, 2011 7:11 am

We dont have a tumbledryer so they are just either line dried or dried indoors on the airer x

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 am

do you always hang them with the elastic over the 'bars' or line? I seem to remember someone having trouble with certain brands when they pegged them at the top so the weight of the nappy wet put extra strain on the elastic causing it to snap.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat