Help. leaky nappies in baby carrier. :-(

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Help. leaky nappies in baby carrier. :-(

Postby mummy_goose1 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 am

Hi!
I'm still fairly new to cloth... but we're gettin on really well, and hardly having any leaks... other than when i put dd in her carrier. We have an ergo, and so far she only goes on my front facing in.
I have tried quite a few different nappies...but i always end up covered in wee and so does h! Not a good look for either of us!!
Am i just bein a ditz... or is there anythin i can do to prevent this??!
Thanks! X x

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help. leaky nappies in baby carrier. :-(

Postby rachymoo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am

It's compression wicking, I get the same problem sometimes. What nappies do you use? I find there's less leaking if I use fitteds rather than pockets/AIOs when DS is in the sling.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed May 18, 2011 8:44 am

There is a thread a good few months back about this. The carriers put extra pressure on the nappies squeezing out the moisture. If I remember correctly the best combo was fitted and wool with an extra booster (whether a nappy booster or a wool booster for the longies/soaker). Think some people put on 2 layers of wool in the winter.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm

thanks ladies!!
Ahh..... so far we are using pockets and AIO's..... so this is where i am going wrong - ah well - more excuse to buy more nappies!!!
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Kirsty x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

We use pockets no problem with ds in teh sling, but I make sure they are well stuffed and with little or no microfibre, as the microfibre acts like a sponge and squishes out the wee where as bamboo holds onto it better under pressure

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:23 pm

This has been happening to us too!
Relieved its not just me.
We've been using teenyfits & ittis mainly - will try our tots bots & wraps in moby wrap.
Sometimes tho its hard to tell if its wee (coz hers doens't smell) or sweat from being so close to me!

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

The carrier and the front facing position can be the biggest problem. Ideally babies shouldnt be forward facing in a carrier unless in a lotus carry (using a wrap)
Some carriers are narrow at the crotch and make them tip forward rather than with thier knees higher than their hips, its not good for them and it will mean the nappy is squashed and you will likely get some gaping and compression issues.
Personally I havent had any problems with leakage in carriers (I lie..I did once but that was my bad when he was teeny tiny) and I use all varieties of nappies when I go out, pockets , AI2s and fitteds with wool. I do almost exclusively use bamboo which will help as the moisture can be squished back out as it can with microfibre.
I would suggest a two part system, either with a PUL wrap or wool (well lanolised!) certainly something bamboo with plenty enough absorbency for the amount of time its going to be on for, that should solve your problems ;)

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 pm

thank you ladies!!

think i may buy some fitted... and go from there!!

Sometimes tho its hard to tell if its wee (coz hers doens't smell) or sweat from being so close to me!

hehe - i find this too!! Although her wee is starting to get stronger smelling - so if i sniff myself i know its wee!!!! :giggle:

The carrier and the front facing position can be the biggest problem. Ideally babies shouldnt be forward facing in a carrier unless in a lotus carry (using a wrap)

Sorry - probably didn't explain it well - she doesn't face out, but she is on my front...facing into me, if that makes sense? with the ergo you can't have them facing forward, unless they're on your back. :D

ok.... time to shop the classifieds...!! :wink: :D :giggle:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat