hf1

Cheaper Nappies

My avatar
buggaluggs
Clothie
Clothie

Cheaper Nappies

Postby buggaluggs » Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm

I have recently discovered that there are cheaper nappies available to buy new (under £10) identical to the ebay cheapies for sale at £4.

They are the same material, same manufacturer, just a different label and maybe a slight modification.

Does this justify the extra cost?

I know these nappies can be made for approximately £1.50 - £2 per nappy and despite these companies claiming to have ethical certs, I would want to see them (in english) before buying them.

I also know some people who have used these nappies and found they leak etc then stop using cloth nappies!!

I can't help but think these are flooding the market and giving cloth a bad name.

On the other hand, if someone tells me they have used them from birth 2 potty and have stood the test of time I may relent.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Cheaper Nappies

Postby Caroline » Wed May 18, 2011 6:16 pm

I have some Coolababies which I hate! I bought them as nursery nappies and dont like anything about them at all. The inserts are awful and you have to use other brand ones, the nappy feels plasticy, and the fleece lining is too big for the nappy and sticks out the back. PLUS it's very hard to find out about the ethical manufacturing of them (I bought really on the basis of a nappy tester, to see what else was on the market.) I would pay more for quality and ethical manufacturing every time.

My avatar
didifrench
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby didifrench » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Through facebook/twitter, I actually saw quite a few websites selling some ebay cheapies, which have a design close to the wonderoo, but with other colours. The colours are quite nice, though. Apparently, each seller just change the label to their business name.... The change in price may be the cost of having a website, changing the label or simply hoping to make more money if customers don't know about ebay and where those nappies are from.

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 am

Hi, most of my stash is made up of Coolababies and I find they do the job well.

I started with the included inserts and swapped to bamboo ones once DD was 10 months but they were fine for 2-3 hours for us until then. Fair enough they're not as pretty as some of the more expensive brands but we don't have that much spare cash. I have some of the more expensive ones pre-loved but i'm fairly sure that most of these won't last a 2nd baby BTP in full time cloth where as my coolas will!

Also, I've been using them since DD was 4 months old (now 16 mths) and have had no quality issues.

I also have a few of the 97k gallery ebay cheepies which do the job and are funkier but a smaller size and i'd be suprised if these ones last until potty training, DD has a tiny waist but wears the rise snaps fully open. Whereas with the coolas she's still on the 2nd rise setting.

All in all, if money was no object i'd have a more expensive stash but for me and my circumstances, my cheepies do me just fine! :wine:

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 am

I have a few of the 97k gallery ebay ones, before ds was born i brought terry squares but decided to get some when i was hunting on ebay. They have worked quite well for us as ds is not a heavy wetter, but they do have a tendency to leak a little from the leg at times. Ds is now 15 months and we still use them i find them great for short times like at breakfast when i know he will have a poo afterwards :giggle: and i use them as a nappy before bathtime. I love the fact they dry quickly as well.

When a friend told me about CNT and i soon found loads more brand and now have a big mix of lots of different nappies :D . I do feel a bit bad at times knowing i got the 97k gallery nappies had to travel from china :-? and they were so cheap it must effect the ethical manufactuing of them.

If i had the money at the time i would have brought a lovely stash of nappies, but the cheap ones have helped us well on our cloth nappy journey and if they are still in usable condision i will use them for number 2 :D

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am

didifrench wrote:Through facebook/twitter, I actually saw quite a few websites selling some ebay cheapies, which have a design close to the wonderoo, but with other colours. The colours are quite nice, though. Apparently, each seller just change the label to their business name.... The change in price may be the cost of having a website, changing the label or simply hoping to make more money if customers don't know about ebay and where those nappies are from.

Ive recently heard about this too!

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 am

I think the point is less that cheap nappies "dont work" (some do for some people!) but that certain cheap ones like the ones mentioned manufactured in mass in china that are being imported to the UK and sold on at massively inflated prices by *some* people.
When people buy cheap nappies (£3-4) they know they are getting just that...a CHEAP nappy and if they leak/dont work its not going to come as a suprise. To pay £10 for the SAME nappies a person would expect them to be as good as say a BumGenius just without that popular brand name...some people find these 'cheapies' work great and others dont.
Personally I wouldnt buy one because of the question over materials and how they are produced, I pay more because I know that my nappies have come from Suzanne or Michelle or Tami or Bonnie....these are people I have spoken too, who are WAHM (or expanded WAHMs!) and I KNOW are not a load of underpaid workers in a factory in china!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat