HELP, new to all this!

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

HELP, new to all this!

Postby sineadrankin » Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Hiya,

I'm due in around 12weeks and would like to try reusables this time, I wasn't brave enough first time around and consequently don't know a thing about them.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get sorted. I don't mind buying one or two of each brand to get me started and preloved would be excellent, but i have looked in the classifieds and don't know what will be suitable for a newborn.

I also don't want to spend a lot in case I don't get on well with reusables, even though I'm much more confident and think I'll be fine.

I know i need a nappy bin and wet bag, so there's a start.

What else and any recommendations?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: HELP, new to all this!

Postby flossyfly » Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Tots Bots teenyfits are great, diddy diapers by nature babies (need waterproof wraps for these), easy peasy bimbles and little lambs are good too.

http://www.funkymonkeypants.com/newborn-nappies.html

http://www.babipur.co.uk/shop/Reusable_ ... _info.html

http://www.babykind.co.uk/bimble.htm

:wink:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Have a look here - viewforum.php?f=47 - for reviews on newborn nappies and the different types you can get. There's plenty of different types so it depends on what you're after, there's fitteds that needs waterproof wraps over them, all in ones (aio) that are literally that, or pocket ones that need inserts stuffed into them :wink:

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Sat May 21, 2011 8:04 pm

They look good.

So with the aio's I don't have to buy anything as they all come together?

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Sat May 21, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't mind what to have and have been told that it depends on baby as to what suits them, so was just hoping to try a few preloved cheapies to see what works for baby and me best :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat May 21, 2011 8:06 pm

You could put up a Wanted post for newborn/small nappies and see what people have. I have a few from Classifieds, including pockets, AIO and fitteds/wraps (no flat nappies or nippas as they scare me :giggle: ). I have heard that fitteds/wraps are better for containing breastfed poo, but pockets/AIO are easier to put on. My DD was in pockets from around 3 months and we were fairly happy with containment. We have some Little Lambs, OWW, Swaddlebees, WN, BG, Teenyfits, Real Easys and Mutts. I specifically went for newborn sizes as we have a whole stash of BTP (Wonderoos mainly) for her/him to grow into. It is definitely worth getting a couple of each of a few different styles to see what works for you. Some people recommend muslins and wraps in the early days as muslins dry really quickly and are cheap (you don't need to change the wrap with every nappy change, unless it gets mucky of course). HTH.

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Sat May 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks bluebell that does really help, also didn't know I could post a wanted lol.

:cool:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm

sineadrankin wrote:Thanks bluebell that does really help, also didn't know I could post a wanted lol.
:cool:

:giggle: viewforum.php?f=42

I posted a Wanted for some night nappies a few months ago, picked up some nappies and wraps and still haven't needed to buy any brand new ones! Really glad too because night nappies are expensive! I was just going to try them out to see which ones we like, and we're still using them :wine:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat