hf1

Seriously losing the cloth mojo. :(

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Seriously losing the cloth mojo. :(

Postby red_dwarf » Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am

A lot of people are buying and selling on facebook which is why classifieds are so bad.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 25, 2011 10:09 am

Steph, sorry you are having so many problems with Grace :hug: :hug: have a break and then see how you feel - I'm sure that was what happened with Isabelle :wink: and as you said you got your mojo back at the end!

Re classifieds as we all know there are cycles of certain things that sell better than other things, as Tory said her OWWs went really well, there have been discussions of this nature before and it often comes down to the latest 'trend' selling really well and other things taking longer.

Not sure if we perhaps have too high expectations of what we should be getting (playing devils advocate here :wink: ), if you have used a nappy for a while (say 6 months) for your baby to poo in how long should it be holding 65 to 75 % of it's value? There's a question for the morning :giggle: :giggle:

red_dwarf wrote:A lot of people are buying and selling on facebook which is why classifieds are so bad.

:roll: Oh great another way that FB will eventually kill all small websites :x :x :roll: ( :giggle: not :roll: at you Ant - just at FB!!) I'm not sure that is true though, as although there may be peeps selling on there, our classifieds are as busy as they have ever been :D

Just to make you all feel better as you may have seen Joel put a new thing in classifieds so that if it says 'sold' in the title it moves into a sold area. When he did this it moved 650 things that have sold in 2 months in the first day. Everything gets auto pruned after 2 months so what you see is only ever the last 2 months (a bit deceptive on figures if you aren't aware of that!) - and that was only things that actually said sold as we hadn't told everyone about it at that point there would no doubt be even more than that.

So I wouldn't worry too much stuff does sell - as with anywhere make sure your description is good, you have decent pics and your price is right and you should be able to move them along even if it is not instant. :D :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 am

I hadn't realised people were using facebook!

I'm not using cloth full time on Daragh either, in fact I usually do one nappy wash per week. Pockets and wraps aren't reliable enough to wear out of the house, and bulky under jeans and most trouswers that he has. Fitteds are fine under wool and I hope we get to use them more now that we've discovered interlock! But before that, longies and soakers weren't standing upto the wear they were getting (on a full-time bumshuffler!), only organic merino doesn't irriitate his skin and that's harder to keep nice. So mostly they were just worn in the house.

When I started using cloth it was hard to come by a nice nappy, WN's and Blueberry nappies were a treat and they sold on easily. Now there's a lot of choice and many people are making their own and the value just isn't the same. I literally have bags and bags of nappies that I probably can't sell, but are worth too much for me to just give them away to people I don't know.

It could possibly be an economy thing though - its a common complaint on other forums too that sales are slow and prices are lower.

Maybe a break will help, Steph? A couple of weeks of not using them, hopefully the sores will heal up and a pile of fresh clean fluffy nappies will tempt you back, rather than the pile of stinky sposies (my bin had never been so full until i used sposies full-time for a couple of weeks, and DH started to comment on the smell as I rarely put them in the outside bin straight away)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 25, 2011 10:33 am

gayleygoo wrote:It could possibly be an economy thing though - its a common complaint on other forums too that sales are slow and prices are lower.

I think this is very very true, people just don't have as much money as they did a year or more ago.

gayleygoo wrote:When I started using cloth it was hard to come by a nice nappy, WN's and Blueberry nappies were a treat and they sold on easily. Now there's a lot of choice and many people are making their own and the value just isn't the same.

Good points too! I remember being soooo excited when I bought a blueberry 2nd hand of Shevi who had imported it from the States :giggle: it was another world 4.5 years ago!!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 am

The other thing is that sometimes I want something badly and I know hubby would kill me if I use the bank acc so I reduce something so that I know it will dell right away :oops:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 am

megansmummy wrote:I think the other thing that I find ia little irritating ( :oops: ) is the cheeky offers...you list something for a price and i dont mind doing a reduction/deal on multiple items becuase obviously i save on postage that way but on one item people will ask will you take £x? can you include postage and fee's? etc...

Someone wanted my two size 3 LLs for £5 all in :shock: They'd cost over £3 to POST never mind PP taking fees off the top :shock:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 am

Ahh yeah the FB thing, there is a lot on there, probably because it reaches a winder audience x

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Wed May 25, 2011 11:48 am

I doubt it to be honest. There are many thousands of unique visitors a day to classifieds and it's usage figures are regularly 8-10 times greater than the the rest of the site put together. Usage has regularly been increasing month on month. I wouldn't be putting my time into it if that wasn't the case. I think it very unlikely that anywhere near that many people view someone's FB page. 650 people putting sold in their title without being prompted is not a negligible figure.

I think it plainly works for most people as long as you pitch your prices right. TBH 75% of new price for a six month old nappy seems fairly unrealistic, especially in the current financial climate and considering the choice available.

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Wed May 25, 2011 12:03 pm

First off so sorry to hear about your family's health problems. Hope they get better and you find a solution for your nappy problem. :hug: :hug:

Secondly, agree with others that 75% of RRP is too much for most nappies (obviously certain brands are selling really well now and so agree that they should go for what you can get, especially newborn nappies from a large rotation as they wouldn't be used much). If I wait for sales I can get 25% off of a new nappy (BG Flips are often BOGOF). So I'm not likely to pay that for a used one. I'm usually looking for about 50% of retail value but it really depends on the nappy.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat