hf1

Cloth in hospital

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Cloth in hospital

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

For those that used cloth in hospital, how many did you take? I have a huge mixture of prefolds, fitteds and wool. I'm hoping maximum 2 nights and I have 2 large WNs wetbags and 2 smaller wet bags, plus will get some nets so easy for DH to put in the wash / dryer or hang to dry.

Am trying to organise hospital bag atm and the 2 large wet bags to have some rotations ready, but not really sure where to start or split them up like I'll have far too many or far too few. :giggle: Then there is sleep suits and rompers, etc.

I can't really deal with the idea of using disposables at birth, even eco-disposables aren't really very disposable. I know that sounds stupid really. DH is going along with me for an easy life lol. I haven't said to the hospital about using cloth and if they give me grief I'll threaten to discharge myself asap. :giggle: They can't possibly have any valid objections really when we would be washing and changing everything ourselves, plus I'll want to leave as soon as practically possible, which is basically determined by when they do the paed checks so long as things go fairly smoothly.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Cloth in hospital

Postby megansmummy » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Darcie was born Tuesday tea time and I got out Thursday teatime.. I took 12 oww fitteds and 12 teenyfits because I had no idea what I would need but that was way more than I needed! She just didn't seem to per/poop that much in the first couple of days!

Eta I took one large monkeyfoot wetbag for nappies and a medium for csp and ended up with a couple nappies in with the csp...

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 24, 2011 2:47 pm

I have asked about cloth in hospital and it isn't a problem here, this bubba will be born in the shiney new not yet fully open Forth Valley Royal Hospital :D That now has red crayon on a floor thanks to G :giggle: )
I think I might actually take both, for some reason all of ours have done that delightful first poo almost right away, G used 4 nappies in an hour before we even got off delivery!!!
I also want to be in and out as quick as poss, with Anna I was home for hours later and G the following late morning as she was born in the evening x

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Ds3 was cloth bummed from birth (thanks Amber :giggle: ), I was in for 2 nights and took 10 fitteds, 5 terry squares, 3 soakers and 2 pairs of longies with me and that was plenty. I just gave the dirty ones to dh as and when he came to see us. It all depends, like Kirsty said, as to how much poo your baby does in the first 24 hrs :giggle: Ds3 did about 5 meconium poo's while we were there so wasn't too bad. I got a voucher for a free pack of Huggies newborns from Tesco baby club so I gave the pack to the maternity unit.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I think i had about 18 newborn nappies and 3 wraps, i took 5 with me and Mike bought the rest in.. I ended up being in for a week with Poppy so he had to keep taking the dirties home and bringing them back clean. I think in the beginning we used about 8 a day.

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Emily didn't poo very often in the first 24 hours. I took 15 in, had her at 9pm and was out by 3pm the next day (waiting around for the paed checks!) we could have been home long before that. I took 15 newborn nappies with me and 30 cloth wipes and 4 wraps and only used about 7/8 nappies in that time.

Yvette x

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Stanley pooed through alot :hohoho: I was only in Hospital with him 13 hours and he filled 2 wetbags full :shock: :shock: He went through 4 xs OWW and 6 teenyfits i think :roll: He decided to poop ever hour!
Hospital were fine with it, only because i took no sposies and they don't provide them :hohoho:

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 pm

I didn't tell anyone I was taking cloth so no one could object. I ended up staying in 36 hours, I had about 18 nappies (muslins, swaddlebees nb - a bit of a squeeze on my 11lb 4oz nb :giggle: , some bimbles, thirsties and other fitteds) with PUL wraps.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm

I put 6 in my bag and another 8 in the car. Otis wet through them at the rate of about one an hour, which took me by surprise, so I nearly ran out before we got discharged!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat