hf1

Cloth in hospital

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Cloth in hospital

Postby becky1978 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 pm

beffys wrote:Hopefully not. With Ella when they took us to theatre for assisted forceps delivery, I said I wanted to avoid a section unless it was a medical / emergency necessity. We had skin to skin while they took care of me, they checked and dressed her, then handed to DH in theatre. Hopefully baby won't (isn't atm) posterior so should have an easier time depending on when things kick off. Hoping for less intervention then as well. I might not be saying that at transition though. :giggle:

eta: I mean hopefully I'll have an established labour and less spiralling intervention without being OP.

Ah, was just asking as I had asked for immediate skin to skin after my section which they agreed to, I think they would've put a sposie on her if I hadn't asked them not to.

As I had no feeling from under my boobs down, I had to wear her like a scarf whilst they sewed me up to get our skin to skin!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Just tell them that dh IS doing it - they can't say no :-? After squish arrived we had a few minutes of a cuddle before she had to go and be examined and weighed in the delivery ward and I told dh I wanted her back as she was so we could have skin to skin and he just took over and told the mw he would sort out the nappy and clothes and they didn't argue. I had it written in my birth plan too that we would be using cloth and would dress baby ourselves though I had assumed it would be me doing it but dh managed it grand :D

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Yeah they could have done a section for me with Ella as I had a spinal so was similar, just not planned to be in theatre really. I don't have a problem with having a section per say, just that I wanted to avoid the added complication of surgery if possible with the amount of intervention just seemed to occur from being induced and being OP. I can't honestly remember when Ella had a sposie put on. Think it was straight after skin to skin.

So much depends on how things go though. I was just going to put a first outfit and nappy in labour bag, so it's really obvious and DH knows about it. I want them to collect the cord blood too and possibly use the water bath if it's free, but it depends on if it's day time and how busy. I think we'd be a lot more confident this time in what we want in terms of 3rd stage and immediate post care. It's a nice way for DH to get more involved as well in those first moments.

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Beth - as you know Emily was back to back and I had a relatively straightforward labour with her - all 38 minutes of it. OMG did it hurt during transition but I was adamant to avoid pethidine at all costs, and she was out in 2 pushes. I ended up with a second degree tear but her very quick, uncontrolled arrival and nobody knowing she was back to back until she emerged may have had something to do with that! I had a very short birth plan this time around and in that I said that I didn't want a sposie putting on baby unless it was medically necessary i.e she needed to be taken to special care and that I wanted DH to dress her and put her first cloth nappy on. The midwifes (and other new mums) were all very interested in my cloth nappies and I was smug that whilst they were all suffering leaky sposies and meconium on clothes my gorgeous cloth did the job it was meant to do!

Not long now...
Yvette x

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks Yvette. :wave: :D

I'm pretty sure Ella was transition when I agreed to an epi, but I think OP is also why labour never established and they had to induce. Pethidine made no difference at all anyway so I don't want any this time. I can't see me having a 38 minute labour after Ella's 3 day one that failed to establish, but you never know. A happy medium after a good night's sleep would be great. :giggle:

My birth plan is a bit long atm. Mainly so I can get DH to read through it though. :hohoho: I'm sure it will all go to hell somewhat depending.

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Beth,

I think second time 'round you know what you're letting yourself in for and know what you want, what you definitely don't want. The fear of not knowing what labour wasn't there the second time around and I wasn't as panicked if that makes sense. I avoided having the placenta removed manually in theatre second time around and pethidine, but ended up with stitches which I avoided first time so swings and roundabouts. I got skin to skin straight after birth and had a good start to feeding (not being taken into theatre post birth first time around didn't help) but still ended up with Emly losing more of her birthweight than Christopher did (15% by day 3 compared to 14% for Christopher) and as they were lowish weights to start with 6lb and 6lb 4oz, the community midwife got very jittery quite quickly second time around and was threatening hospital re-admission by day 5 if I didn't express and top up with EBM after every feed.

Not long now until you meet your LO.

Yvette x

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 am

I am planning to take cloth to hospital as well, nappies and CSP. Not sure how many though but expecting a c section so will be in a couple of days. Also have the free Huggies as back up. Will be keeping an eye on this thread!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 am

Bluebell wrote:I am planning to take cloth to hospital as well, nappies and CSP. Not sure how many though but expecting a c section so will be in a couple of days. Also have the free Huggies as back up. Will be keeping an eye on this thread!

There are a few of us that had planned c-sections so ask away :) I was really worried about the CSP/cloth nappy situation at the hospital but it was fine :thumbsup: the midwife who came into theatre with us was really helpful and interested in them, Darcie went into a rainbow XS OWW (coverless) for skin to skin and hubby just changed her as needed and then before he left me that night he changed her into a fresh one with a cover and put her in jammies...then I was able to change them all myself anyway :)

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat