hf1

Cloth in hospital

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Cloth in hospital

Postby HighlandMum » Tue May 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I took loads, but i was a planned section so knew id be in for a few days. It turned out i had S on the Friday morning and was discharged Sunday lunchtime.

If memory serves me correctly i took 34 in (which i guessed would do me 3 days), 13 teenyfits, 5 prefolds and the rest a variety of fitteds. I was up in Ness which is 65 miles away so it wasnt just a case of dh bringing more in or taking dirty ones home so it was a bit different.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Wow that's quite varied amounts, thank you. :)

I'm going to pack up the change bag just now with prefolds and fitteds. Most of the fitteds I made are quite small so will be used at first hopefully then. I hope baby isn't any more than 10lbs though! I'll just see how much I can pack into the bag along with some wool soakers once they are dry from lanolising again.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 pm

I took 12 teenyfits and 2 Lil Joeys and had hoped to be out as soon as possible. Also took your 20 newborn/toy wipes, plus about 15 slightly bigger ones I made.

I had him at 5pm, he finally got a nappy on around 7pm and we were out the next day at 8pm. I had too many nappies as he only did 3 poos in that time, and not too many wees. Despite constant feeding- I got lucky!! I knew I was getting out that next evening so didn't bother having Mark bring an extra bag in, I used a large MF bag and it was plenty. Probably used 7 nappies?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Managed to fit 6 prefolds and 8 fitteds into the change bag, plus wet bags, wipes and wool. I can make up a spare clean wet bag then here for DH just in case is probably easiest then. Think I have about 20 large wipes and 15 mini ones, the wipes keep wandering and being played with.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 pm

beffys wrote:Managed to fit 6 prefolds and 8 fitteds into the change bag, plus wet bags, wipes and wool. I can make up a spare clean wet bag then here for DH just in case is probably easiest then. Think I have about 20 large wipes and 15 mini ones, the wipes keep wandering and being played with.

That sounds grand - I would have a mix of newborn and small nappies and clothes in both bags. I was sure we would use the OWWs in hospital and the up to 10lb sleepsuits - squish was so long that she didnt wear any of the nappies and just about squeezed into one of the sleepsuits :shock: Thank goodness I had thrown an xs BG and a Diddy Diaper into the change or her 1st nappy would have been a sposie. DH brought me our other 5 Diddy Diapers, 2 small BGs and 4 OWW prefolds just in time for nappy change and they just about lasted until the following day as squish poo'd loads.

Oh and I didnt ask if it was OK to use cloth - had a few mw's who kept offering sposies throughout our stay and they were politely decliined :wink:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:58 pm

I took 6 teenyfits, 5 kissaluvs, 3 owws and 3 diddy diapers in and was in exactly 48 hrs. Saffron didn't wear a nappy for about 4 hours after birth because I wanted skin to skin, so she did her first poo on me!
I didn't ask if it was ok to take cloth in, I just went for it!

Eta: as we went into theatre I saw her little cot outside the door with a sposie in and I said 'dont put her in that will you' :)

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 pm

I was thinking of asking if DH could put her first outfit and nappy on her as he knows what he's doing with a fitted or prefold and a soaker, so after they do the apgar score and skin to skin. :giggle:

I want skin to skin this time for longer at first and also to feed almost straight away, as with Ella the MW gave me some gumf in recovery that she wouldn't want to feed so I had to insist I wanted to try and I know now that it's better to feed asap after birth. It just felt wrong Ella sitting in a plastic cot and not in my arms at the point.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 pm

beffys wrote:I was thinking of asking if DH could put her first outfit and nappy on her as he knows what he's doing with a fitted or prefold and a soaker, so after they do the apgar score and skin to skin. :giggle:

I want skin to skin this time for longer at first and also to feed almost straight away, as with Ella the MW gave me some gumf in recovery that she wouldn't want to feed so I had to insist I wanted to try and I know now that it's better to feed asap after birth. It just felt wrong Ella sitting in a plastic cot and not in my arms
at the point.

DH did Saffron's first nappy and outfit, can't remember if it was in recovery or on the ward now. Are ypu having a section?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue May 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Hopefully not. With Ella when they took us to theatre for assisted forceps delivery, I said I wanted to avoid a section unless it was a medical / emergency necessity. We had skin to skin while they took care of me, they checked and dressed her, then handed to DH in theatre. Hopefully baby won't (isn't atm) posterior so should have an easier time depending on when things kick off. Hoping for less intervention then as well. I might not be saying that at transition though. :giggle:

eta: I mean hopefully I'll have an established labour and less spiralling intervention without being OP.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat