hf1

Heavy wetter tips please

My avatar
Vigornia
Clothie
Clothie

Heavy wetter tips please

Postby Vigornia » Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm

I've finally given up with pockets for Alice because they all just leak now, she's at the power wee stage so if it doesn't just fire out of the leg hole, she wees so much they're soaked in an hour anyway. So it's on to fitteds. Trouble is, even those seem to be outweed, which I never had with Rose.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips that I might not have thought of.

Thanks x x

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Heavy wetter tips please

Postby ImisMummy » Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Imogen is a very heavy wetter.

Tonight she is in a terry with a fluffle on top covered by a little lamb wrap and a pair of heavily lanolised wool shorties!

I find bamboo to be the best at holding wee and personally found babybeehinds to be quite absorbant imho

The trick is to try and get the absorbance without the mahusive bum, which i find quite hard.

Hope this helps

My avatar
didifrench
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby didifrench » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 am

Which nappies are you using? Bamboo ones are great, as they are slim fitting, you can add some boosters if needed. You can mix and match the insert. Microfibre absorbs fast when bamboo hold the liquid, which may be the issue with your pockets.
Are you using the same nappies you used for your first? If the nappies are well used, they can become less absorbant as they used to be. I have that issues with the nappies that I reused from DD1, they were used a lot as I didn't have a big stash for her, and only bought some more as I had 2 in nappies at the same time.

For night time, a fleece or wool cover may be great with a well boosted nappy.

HTH

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 am

You didn't say which pockets you were using, they tend to vary in reliability, and from baby to baby also. If they're all the same brand then you may have success with another, although its an expensive change to make! Extra boosters (hemp, Zorb or bamboo) can help, but make sure they aren't so bulky they cause the leg opening to gape and leak.

Fitteds are generally more reliable, the cover is a second barrier to moisture and less prone to leaking or wicking. IMO, you just can't beat wool covers/longies/shorties etc. Fleece is a good, cheaper alternative but will need changed and washed more often. Go for bamboo nappies or those with Zorb in them.

How are you washing the nappies? There could be a build up of detergent perhaps?

My avatar
jetters
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jetters » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

The only nappies that kept up with my heavy wetter were bg organic aios x

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

I tend to just change regularly, using DnFs, Bitti Boos, HL fitteds and a few other fitteds under wool or fleece (mostly wool!) I will often change him every 1-2 hours however if I want one to last longer I will tend to use an F&S heavy wetter or an HL fitted with another of their lay in boosters as that seems to last him over 2 hours.
I use mainly bamboo with some organic cotton and hemp, I use bamboo or hemp in my pockets and they do work still I just have to watch them carefully! Toddler pee can be combated best with a combination of microfibre and bamboo/hemp, as microfibre absorbs faster it can help with the flood effect but with bamboo/hemp underneath there is greater volume absorbency.
The WeeNotions 6 layered inserts with microfibre top and bamboo underneath are great IMO, though I tend to get all bamboo versions and use a thinner microfibre cloth wrapped around them. It still works out fairly slim fitting considering and it means they dont leak in the 2-3 hours they stay on.
The ones that work best for us with PUL built in are AI2s, Itti (tuttos are my main 'going out' nappy), HL, WN.

Id go with a good strip wash as has been suggested and maybe tweaking your inserts if you are using all microfibre or all bamboo at the moment.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat