hf1

What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 pm

anothersquish wrote:*shrug* If someone offers me less than I want to sell for I say no, hopefully politely! Whether thast £1 less or £10 less than I am asking for. Generally I am advertising stuff at the price I need/want for it, ie my lowest price to cover fees, postage and the nappy so I dont often accept offers at all. I dont remember anyone being awkward with this.
Sometimes I will just pay what the seller is asking if its something I deem reasonable or I just REALLY want it, sometimes I make an offer if say I only have X amount in my paypal or such like. I hope Ive never made someone a 'mean' offer and I dont mind someone saying no :)

Most of the nappies Ive posted recently have cost £1.72 to post (or more, a nappy I received last week was £2.48!) plus fees of 56p on a £10 nappy so thats almost £2.50 on a £10 nappy going on postage and fees! Sometimes I think people can be a little forgetful of just how much of the money doesnt end up with the seller.


You're right! Some people seem to think the whole amount ends up in the sellers pocket.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby tanya » Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Depends how quickly I want shot of a nappy as to how I price it. If I want it gone quick, I tend to give an all in price, but if I'm not too bothered how long it takes, it's just a price for the nappy with post and fees on top.

As for offers: Well, I can always say no ;) No-one says I have to sell the nappy for what I'm offered!

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:47 pm

northernruth wrote:
anya1973 wrote:Why do people set a price all in? I've never done that and don't see how it can be fair to the seller. But then I'm very thick-skinned and am quite happy to go against the so-called 'norm'. :lol:


I dunno really but it just seems to put people off - they don't have a ready reckoner for what fees and postage might be so they prefer just the one price. I've done it to try to ensure I sell the bloomin things :giggle:


I've never actually noticed this when selling. Surely most buyers realise that there will be the cost of the nappy, the fees and postage to be added afterwards?

You don't buy from an online shop and hassle them for a deal after all. You expect to pay postage costs without questioning it.

Can you tell this gets on my wick?!! :lol:

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:49 pm

tanya wrote:Depends how quickly I want shot of a nappy as to how I price it. If I want it gone quick, I tend to give an all in price, but if I'm not too bothered how long it takes, it's just a price for the nappy with post and fees on top.

As for offers: Well, I can always say no ;) No-one says I have to sell the nappy for what I'm offered!


Exactly! If it was me, the more I was hassled by a buyer the more I would dig my heals in! But I am an awkward bugger. :mrgreen:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby beffys » Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I think it's more that an item is only worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay, so they can make a really low offer if it isn't shifting and seller can accept, barter or refuse. It's annoying when someone offers an incredibly low price though. They are just wasting your time then.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anothersquish » Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm

I must admit Im one of those that will often skip over classifieds without an 'all in' price as its difficult to judge what postage and fees will be and I know I dont like to have to 'hassle' someone to weigh a nappy for a postage quote for me to say "oh sorry cant afford it"
However Ive been tempted to do it with the LLS Im selling as its heavy (postage £2.50) and as it is more expensive the fees run to £1.05 so it looks expensive at the price of £25 BUT £3.50 of that is going on postage and fees so perhaps Id get more interest on it at £21.50 plus postage and fees? Hmmmmm

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

northernruth wrote:
anya1973 wrote:Why do people set a price all in? I've never done that and don't see how it can be fair to the seller. But then I'm very thick-skinned and am quite happy to go against the so-called 'norm'. :lol:


I dunno really but it just seems to put people off - they don't have a ready reckoner for what fees and postage might be so they prefer just the one price. I've done it to try to ensure I sell the bloomin things :giggle:



It's not that difficult though to get a postage price and fees and work out the grand total is it? Hey, perhaps it's just because I'm a penny pinching miser who can't afford to give things away for silly prices. :giggle: :giggle:

I suppose there are some on here who aren't bothered about recouping as much as they can from a nappy sale.

Still get people who grumble though, when all they need to do is say no. :wink: I had someone from another country offer me a ridiculous amount for a whole loads of nappies. I just told her no, I wanted what I was asking for them. :wink: I have a feeling they've been on here trying to do this again.

Actually, I do think that sometimes some that are new to cloth don't have the experience of buying and selling on classifieds (but we all have to start somewhere) and aren't aware of what nappies actually cost new and how much you can generally sell them for 2nd hand.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby littlesez » Fri May 27, 2011 7:17 pm

I dont think any offer is cheeky. When i first came to cnt i was so :shock: at how much you can get for your second hand cloth especially when you look at how much cloth you can get on freecycle. Im very grateful for making a bit of money from some of my old nappies. Izzys i mean not mine :hohoho:

Even if soemone did offer me £2 for a £10 item I wouldnt say that person is rude. I would just say no.

I find people can be rude though regardless of an offer they make. eg. i have had ladies at a car boot tellign me "ok you will sell this for 50p" putting it in her bag I was so angry so i said no and ended up argueing for 10 mins with her :evil: Had she just asked me nicely :giggle: she would have got it for 50p it was the principle.

so to sum up making offers IMO are not cheeky as long as you are polite.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:32 pm

littlesez wrote:I dont think any offer is cheeky. When i first came to cnt i was so :shock: at how much you can get for your second hand cloth especially when you look at how much cloth you can get on freecycle. Im very grateful for making a bit of money from some of my old nappies. Izzys i mean not mine :hohoho:

Even if soemone did offer me £2 for a £10 item I wouldnt say that person is rude. I would just say no.

I find people can be rude though regardless of an offer they make. eg. i have had ladies at a car boot tellign me "ok you will sell this for 50p" putting it in her bag I was so angry so i said no and ended up argueing for 10 mins with her :evil: Had she just asked me nicely :giggle: she would have got it for 50p it was the principle.

so to sum up making offers IMO are not cheeky as long as you are polite.


I've never ever seen any cloth nappies on our freecycle! People usually just want to get rid of their old knackered tellies! :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat