hf1

What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: What offers are considered 'cheeky'?

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 pm

I've seen a couple of sets of sz 1 tots and :puke: bambino mio :lookround: on ours.

And I think there are some 'cheeky' offers, but I try not to take it to heart in case it's just a new person who doesnt know the costs of postage and of the nappies themselves. I had someone offer me £5 all in for two nappies I'd listed for £3 +postage EACH :shock: But I just pm'd back explaining that after taking off postage (which would have been around £3.25 recorded for both) and paypal fees, that I wouldn't really be left with a lot :giggle:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said - I don't mind offers of say 10-15% off the price - but I price things at what I think they are worth, if I didn't think they were worth that I would have listed them for less in the first place. I am more than happy to do offers when people buy several things for me, as it's less hassle, less trips to the PO etc.

I prefer to add postage and fees afterwards, but isn't the guidance on here that you should put an all-in price now? That's fine if everything sells seperately, but if you do a bundle then the buyer actually pays over the odds for postage, so I prefer to list prices then add postage and fees at cost.

I'm fed up at the moment though as nothing is shifting - I've got loads of woolies and WAHM clothing to list but stuff isn't even going for 30% of it's original price, even when it's hardly been worn. I'm tempted to keep it all incase I have another girl next time I get :pregnant: :giggle:

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Last edited by ebonina on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

I usually put an all in price as I find things just go quicker that way as people can instantly see how much they have to pay... doesn't make any difference to me, I just work out how much I want, then add postage and fees and use that figure...

I had a brand new pair of longies that I wanted £25 for and got offered £15. I refused it as I thought it was taking the p*ss... still haven't sold them, but won't sell them for that price out of principal :giggle:

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Ebonina -

Why on earth is that insulting? It doesn't take 5 minutes to weigh a nappy, look on Royal Mail website to find out the postage costs then add the totals and add on the fees. There's even a paypal fees calculator on this website if you want to work them out even quicker.

I can't see why what I said is rude and insulting. Anyone care to explain? :-? :lookround:

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 am

Last edited by ebonina on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat May 28, 2011 7:44 am

If I'm offering a few things in a post, I'll price separatley and ask for postage on top (having fees covered doesn't bother me unless its either very expensive or only 50p or something!). If I'm only listing one or two items then its usually an all-in price for simple's sake, postage and fees are taken into consideration when pricing but as long as the item sells I don't mind exactly how many pennies I get :wink: I always reduce a little for multiple purchases as it saves me time, and would consider offers.

I don't think it's rude to make low offers, some people are natural hagglers (my Dad being one of them :roll: ) and starting with a low offer means negotiations can take place. And nobody has to sell to anyone if they don't want to :-?

Classifieds are slow at the minute - that means people seem to be not willing to pay the prices asked (or else the items aren't in demand), doesn't that mean the items are really worth less? an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Not that lovely new nappies should be 50p or anything, but when people make offers, no matter how low, its a positive thing that they're showing an interest in your sales at all, if you're unhappy with what they offer then just say No, they probably don't mean to be rude :-? they just want to give you money for your used nappies (and that is something my DH finds truly disgusting :hohoho: he can't believe people sell/buy them!)

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sat May 28, 2011 9:11 am

ebonina wrote:It was your tone, it sounded like you were saying that somebody is thick if they don't do it or want to do it. Or just being a pain in the a@&e. Surely the seller will have to work all this out to actually post it so why should the buyer do it too? They don't have the item, so can only do a rough guess anyway.
How do buyers weigh something they don't have, like clothes and wraps?

I read it that Anya meant for the seller to weigh & work out postage, I don't think she was suggesting the buyer should as this obviously wouldn't be possible.

As I a normally selling various bits and pieces at one, nappies, clothes & toys etc then I find it easier & fairer for a potential buyer to tell me all the things they are interested in so I can bundle them & weigh them, this means they only pay the actual postage rather than over the top because I've added a little on to every item.

I am also far more likely to give a good discount/reduction when someone is buying multiple items, sometimes I'll even offer to cover the postage myself if the buyer is already spending a lot.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 am

ebonina wrote:It was your tone, it sounded like you were saying that somebody is thick if they don't do it or want to do it. Or just being a pain in the a@&e. Surely the seller will have to work all this out to actually post it so why should the buyer do it too? They don't have the item, so can only do a rough guess anyway.
How do buyers weigh something they don't have, like clothes and wraps?

No, no, no! The buyer doesn't have to do it! The seller would weigh the nappy etc.

I wouldn't expect a buyer to do it! :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat