Hi, new to cloth nappies

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Hi, new to cloth nappies

Postby hedgiemum63 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi there,

My name is Yvonne, and I'm a mummy to four children (Ruth, Daniel, Leah and Andrew) plus my two older stepdaughters (Hannah and Becky). I'm about to have my fifth baby (due on Monday 30th) and I'm about to venture into cloth for the first time ever. I know that sounds mad after having used sposies with all the others, but I really wanted to try with my last baby, and this time around we are not as well off financially since hubby lost his former job at the start of the downturn. He's working part time right now, so I thought using cloth might help us cut down on costs a bit (plus, I couldn't face a bad week with not enough money until the next day if we ran out of sposies...).

So far, I have some cute Lollipop 50cm terries I got from Ebay (23 of them for a fiver) and some Motherease one size, plus a load of muslins (which I use anyway), plus 2x Disana tie-on nappies, plus a couple of Bumbles...um, some prefolds and a load of mixed wraps (Popolini, Motherease, One Life) to start off. I've got some Little Lamb bamboo boosters and fleece liners from Ebay also..will these be any good?

I like the look of the Bumble at first blush, and folding terries isn't nearly as complex as I had thought(quite fun to practice on a soft dolly), and the Disanas are so soft (but I don't know whether they'd be okay later on, boosted?).

Has anyone got any advice or suggestions for these nappies?

My questions would be:

If you've used terries, how long have you gone with them and what do you boost them with, favourite folds etc?

What do you think of the Disana tie ons if you have used them?

What about the Easy Peasy Bumbles?

I was also considering trying out the Thirsties hemp prefolds, as I've gathered that a lot of mums like hemp nappies and these are supposed to be pretty absorbent...I'm just trying to put together a good system for when my little one gets past the newborn stage.

Wow, I asked a lot of questions...thanks so much for reading and for any suggestions/reviews/advice you may have...looking forward to sharing with you my journey into cloth :wink: :wink:

Yvonne

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Re: Hi, new to cloth nappies

Postby littlesez » Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm

not tried lots of the ones you mentioned but terries we used from birth to 5 months LOVED them good choice. Jo fold was our fave

little lamb boosters are good used them from birth to potty for various things :D

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hedgiemum63 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly. :wave:

Which nappies did you use until potty training?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat May 28, 2011 6:49 am

:wave: :wave: Hi Yvonne and welcome to CNT.

I used terry's for a while and like Sara loved the jo fold, found it really good and adjustable as he grew. It sounds like you have a great collection to start with, and fab bargain on those terries!

I'd suggest perhaps waiting until bubs is here and seeing what you like best before buying lots of bigger nappies. There are always lots of lovely nappies for sale in the classifieds that will help financially rather than buying new. You will probably find that like most of us you will like a few different sorts and use them for different reasons, I had a pretty big pocket collection which I used when out and about and for nursery etc and then I also had fitteds and terry squares and a couple of prefolds which I used at home. I also used a mixture of wool and pul wraps. Some babies shape will suit certain styles of nappies better than others as well as what you like or dont' like using, so for those reasons I would suggest holding off until they are here!

Good on you for going with cloth this time around, it certainly can save you an awful lot of money. I purchased my new born / size 1 stash, including buckets / wipes etc that were obviously used for longer than the first 6 months, for around £150 and then sold them on for around £120 - £30 is not bad for the first 6 months :giggle: :wine:

Best of luck with your birth when your little one decides to make an entrance - I look forward to hearing your birth announcement. :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat May 28, 2011 7:15 am

I used Terries from birth to 5 months
little lambs from birth to 9 months
Tried out loads of different nappies some i liked some i didnt some good ones were blueberries and bumgenious
Used itti bittis from few weeks old to potty but i preferred them on my girl when she was older
Used weenotions pockets from about a year to potty
Liked fancy fitteds in the end and wool wraps

I am sure i could have used any of the nappies all the way through? by either gettign one size or just buying different sizes. I was planning to just stay with terries and little lambs but then i started tryign new ones. i used terries on izzy if she ever had a dodgy tum becasue they were absoluetly bombproof! Thats why they are such a good choice for younger babies. :thumbsup:

I woudl say that your stash will be perfect for the first few months. See how you get on with them because you might find that you don't need anymore. I wondered if my terries would last i would have boosted them i think. My mum used terries on me to potty along with everyone else who used cloth when terries were the only choice!

more absorbent materials are bamboo and hemp so you can but nappies made from those materials or boosters to add to your exsisant ones.

When bubs is here ask away were are all here to help and try not to get addicted :giggle:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Sat May 28, 2011 7:29 am

I used terries with William on and off til he potty trained at almost 3. We used the jo fold aswell and I used to boost with a tri fold hemp or bamboo insert as well as a microfibre booster.

My main nappy that I used were green kids birth to potty pockets. But as the others have said wait til you get a feel for what you might like and the classifieds are fab for getting a bargain.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun May 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi & welcome to the site :wave:

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hedgiemum63 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

Hello again,

thanks so much for all your advice and information...

I went into labour and had my little girl, Sarah Joy Mary, at 1:17 a.m. on Wednesday, the 1st of June(40+2).

So, I started using the 'sposies, but a couple of days ago decided to get to grips with the cloth nappies I'd bought (seeing as I was feeling half human again...the first few days were rough!). So far, so good! I've been using 50cmx50cm terries, prefolds and I've tried a Disana tie-on (not as hard as I thought to put on), and no leaks so far. I've even managed not to have any poo leaks with huge poos, so I must be managing to do something right with the terries (my preferred nappy so far). I have a feeling, though, that these terries are not going to fit beyond, say, 4-6 months and I'd need bigger ones (I was looking at trying out 70cmx70cm terries from Twinkleontheweb).

OOhhh, I think I'm going to get a bit addicted to cloth nappies, but at least I haven't spent much yet ( I got most of my stuff second hand). I just bought a Nature Babies one size wrap...are these any good?

Thanks for your help and advice, :D

Yvonne

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat