hf1

BTP's or sized nappies?

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

BTP's or sized nappies?

Postby sineadrankin » Sun May 29, 2011 10:46 am

New to cloth and just wondered what people preferred and the reasons why.

I understand btp's are cost effective as they grow with the child, but can you get as good a fit with them as sized nappies?

I have a selection of aio's, btp's, pocket nappes, sio's and two part nappies so trying to get a flavour of everything before I commit myself.

Any advice/comments greatly received :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: BTP's or sized nappies?

Postby monsterm » Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 pm

I think most people have a selection of both. Unless a newborn is a big baby, btp won't fit & there are times as baby grows that you won't be able to get a good fit with sized (when baby is in between sizes) & the same happens with btp. This is why people have different brand nappies in their stash as well. Different brands have sizes that vary slightly so while 1 brand doesn't fit great another brand the same size will. Between size issues & the amount your baby pees, it's a bit of hit & miss really.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun May 29, 2011 12:26 pm

With Bella, because she was always very slim and small, we used mainly sized nappies as BTPs were very bulky on her because they were always on one of the lower rise settings.

With Jake, we have a mix of BTP and sized. All his BTP are on the highest rise settings and he wears all large nappies, but he's huge so they don't seem too bulky on him :)

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun May 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I started off with some newborn sized fitteds and wraps & then the rest were a variety of BTP Pockets & AIO's like ittis.

I found that the only thing that worked for my long, skinny spindly legged boy were sized fitteds:

We found the best things were Dunk n Fluff fitteds, Guerilla Fluff Fitteds, Little Lamb Bamboo & Tots Bots Bamboozles - all with Thirsties Duo Wraps over (the rise is adjustable so work with 99% of nappies).

I soon sold everything else on in favour of these as the pockets & AIO's leaked badly within 30mins.
We tried Itti Bitti SIO & SI2, Blueberry SS & Holden's Landing AI2's, Wee Notions OS, Blueberry OS, Wonderoo OS and Bum Genius Poppers OS but none of these were good for us.

The only thing I kept were 6 embroidered WNOS as I hoped he'd grow into them. However he then developed super chunky thighs & I still couldn't get them to fit. We stuck almost exclusively with sized fitteds (selling the outgrown ones to fund buying larger as we went along). Kept trying the WNOS in the hope they'd now fit but no luck at all.

It wasn't until he started crawling & his thighs slimmed to match his little waist that we started to be able to use BTP - I bought a 5 pack of Tots Bots Easyfits cheap from eBay when he was about 9-10months old & they worked a dream & fit great. The WNOS still didn't work for us so I sold them & replaced them with sized WN side snap pockets which fit great.

We now mainly use SS Pockets (WN) AI2's (Dunk n Fluff) and BTP Pockets (TB's Easyfits) we still have some fitteds (Dunk n Fluff & Guerilla Fluff) but find we don't use them as much now.

I think the key is to buy a few different things to try & not to go for something like a whole BTP pack of one thing as what works for one baby doesn't work for another. Anything that is a little more expensive is worth trying a preloved before you shell out for new. You won't go far wrong with some basics like Little Lambs (avoid the micro fibre ones) and Tots Bamboozles, Sandies I hear are also good as are bimbles.

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Yes I have a good number of nappies but from a few different brands, I am hoping that bubs will fit into the wn's as I adore them, but need to keep reminding myself they are nappies that's all lol.

Difficult decisions, but as I have a range I hope to find the ones to suit bubs! :)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 pm

we have a mix of sized nappies and BTP ones on our stash
my 2 are skinny children - so most BTP don't fit till they are much older - mainly coz of skinny legs and BTPs cause a lot of gappy legs.
so sized nappies make up the majority of our stash but blueberries and tuttos and weenotions have been the BTPs that suit my little ones the best!
Im still waiting for DD2 to fit in her BTPs yet - her legs need to chunk up a bit more :lol:

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun May 29, 2011 7:23 pm

I have mainly sized, I have a couple of blueberry onesize, a couple of RavenTree one size, three or four of WeeNotions onesize and about 8 (I think) Itti Bitti Tuttos and all my others are sized.
Different stuff suits different children and different parents too! T could quite happily have a full stash of Tuttos with sized night nappies and that would do for everything but I like the sized side snaps too much to part with them!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 pm

We have a BTP stash of easyfits and BG v4's which we love but for fitteds we prefer sized :) I find sized nappies much better on smaller babies and OS come into their own once they start chunking out a bit :)

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Mon May 30, 2011 11:27 am

Looks like I've probably done right then buy buying different brands and sizes and trialling them (especially as this is my first cloth baby) wasn't brave enough to put dd in reusables.

Will keep trying new things and resale value is always good anyway on preloved items :)

Thanks ladies

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat