hf1

Bamboo is unnatural after all?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Bamboo is unnatural after all?

Postby Rufies mama » Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi fellow Nappiologists! I just read this on the Happy Heiny website, this is why they use Hemp instead...
Just a little tid-bit of information: Earlier this year the FTC released a statement which is: In its August 11 press release, the FTC said the "bamboo-based textiles, actually made of rayon, are not antimicrobial, made in an environmentally friendly manner, or biodegradable." Due to the manufacturing process of Bamboo the bamboo is converted into a rayon material and it LOSES ITS ANTIMICROBIAL & BIODEGRADABLE PROPERTIES. So with Bamboo you are paying for an organic material that touts wonderful properties but unfortunately it has been proven by the FTC that this is in fact untrue.

What do you think? Should we all be promoting Hemp and not buying Bamboo?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Bamboo is unnatural after all?

Postby anothersquish » Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm

I thought this applied to bamboo velour but all bamboo products such as the bamboo/cotton mixes? I could be wrong of course as I havent read up on it too much.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 am

Bamboo still grows at a ridiculous speed and without chemicals, I've no idea how hemp grows, but doesn't it need cultivating? How much is grown organically? Hemp will have had to go through plenty of processing to be made into a fabric as well. Personally I hated hemp as a nappy fabric, bamboo on the other hand, was fabulous. I'd have gone for bamboo over hemp any day because it's what worked for us. Hemp stiffens and holds smells nastily ime. I didn't ever really believe the anti-microbial stuff anyway, that was disproved years ago.
If it's on the HH website, have they just picked out what they want you to read because their nappies are hemp based ;)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 am

Rayon is a cellulose based fibre (viscose is rayon, it's a synthetic cotton rather than an oil based synthetic like nylon). It's not "unnatural".

I personally loved bamboo so I wouldn't let it put me off.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon May 30, 2011 8:02 am

Most bamboo isn't sold as Organic (not any I've seen anyway) due to the Rayon content, as Ruth says this doesn't make it unnatural.

Hemp wouldn't be all that good for a nappy outer I wouldn't have thought, you could get Organic Cotton Velour if you preferred.

I know some people won't buy BV as 99% comes from China (possible human rights issues etc)

Hemp has it's place as an absorbant later but it's slower than Bamboo, so in my pockets I have hemp at the bottom (GK) and Bamboo in the middle (LL) and then some Zorb on the top. I find that combo works great for us.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon May 30, 2011 8:04 am

I'm not overly bothered about the supposed anti-microbial properties of bamboo - it DOES seem kinder on my childrens' skins than other materials, but doesn't make that much difference to rashes etc. I like it as a nappy fabric because it is soft and absorbant and stays that way over time. TBH, I'm not overly bothered if it's organic or not :oops: I just want it to work for us.

This is the reason we use hemp as well as we've never had issues with hardness or smells.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon May 30, 2011 8:05 am

anothersquish wrote:I thought this applied to bamboo velour but all bamboo products such as the bamboo/cotton mixes? I could be wrong of course as I havent read up on it too much.

WSS
?

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:49 am

I think it's part of our cynical world to ask "Why is this company making a point of this? What's in it for them?". As Shadow said, Happy Heineys have put all their eggs into the hemp basket and are giving unsubstantiated opinion on bamboo. I dare say you could find someone that uses bamboo telling how bad hemp and cotton are. I remember a nappy maker saying similar things about bamboo when all their products were in cotton.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Mon May 30, 2011 4:32 pm

This came up a while ago on another forum and someone posted this up which sounded pretty knowledgable:

"There are 2 processes for getting the fibres from bamboo, there is a nasty cheap way which destroys bamboos natural properties, and this is the fabric you will find cheaply.
There is a nicer way, and by using this better process the bamboo does retain its natural anti bacterial/anti fungal properties.

No bamboo fabric can be organic. We can say it is ‘grown’ organically which is true but misleading as the organic standard fails during the manufacturing process. There are two processes available to turn it into a usable viscose fibre; the good or the bad way!

To be sure that the bamboo you buy is the good one look for the Oeko teks certificate, this guarantees that no harmful chemicals have been used, not just in the finished product, but from growing through the entire process."

I know Tots use the Oeko teks certified stuff, not sure about others. Personally prefer hemp for boosters etc, but BV for night nappies etc.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat