hf1

Are they really cotton?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Are they really cotton?

Postby charlibunny » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:01 pm

anothersquish wrote:I understand money wise, I do but if you dont agree ethically the only way to put an end to it is to not buy....sometimes I look at how much stuff I could get at Primark instead of buying elsewhere but I refuse to buy anything from there, I would rather buy preloved stuff! Same goes for these nappies! If you do go for these try and buy preloved instead of new, there are some for sale on a group on facebook right now, really cheap too.

Alternatively there may be people on here who have wraps and fitteds they dont use that they may be able to offer you for nominal fee/FFP that you could leave in the change bag.

Yes, the ones on facebook are actually more :shock: :shock: and im not after any inserts either as i will use bamboo. I could ask on treecycle BUT i do have a small amount in paypal, im just trying to spend it on as many things as Stanley needs as i can. I would feel wrong asking for things on treecycle when i do have *limited* funds.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm

You shouldnt feel bad about asking for stuff on treecyle, Im sure noone here would begrudge you some nappies they dont use anymore and you can use the funds to cover the postage.
I mean treecycle is better than buying stuff you dont ethically agree with and someone could clear a bit of space in a drawer/cupboard/box right?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm

anothersquish wrote:Oh and WAHM cloth doesnt all cost a fortune? WN start from less than £10, loads of WAHMs make prefolds and flats for £5-10, there are lots of start up/small WAHMs that make fitteds/onesize/pockets for around the £10 mark...all good quality stuff.
These are even cheaper if you buy preloved....my point being there is always a way to work around money and stay on the ethical side of the fence.
Shoot me down if you must!

You are probably right!!! But if you can find me a WN pocket for £2.50 posted to put in my change bag i will take my hat off to you ( i need to put a hat on 1st though :giggle: ).

I NEVER buy new nappies, Stanley has had some OWW new and that's it. Im very thrifty with Money, we need to be. DH supports 7 children off 1 wage!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:05 pm

don't forget that things are just cheaper over there. when we were in china approx 5 years ago, we could get a 3 course meal for 2, a couple of bottles of wine and a couple of large bottles of water for the equivalent of about £1 in a local (non-touristy) restaurant. the equivalent meal here would be well over £60.

so yes, while there are some concerns re treatment of workers, the prices aren't as crazy as it would seem. to them £2 is a LOT of money.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:09 pm

If I found one that cheap itd be all mine LOL I sold five tots bots and two wraps not long ago for a tenner, there are bound to be other bits around like that if you put up an ISO if you really want to avoid asking on treecycle.
I do splash out on nappies and I do have a huge stash but it doesnt mean I dont know the value of money, Im a single disabled WAHM and I go without to buy those nappies (or I sell stuff to fund them) so Im not trying to lecture you or anything whilst I sit in a mansion with a million pounds (I wish!) just feel quite passionately about the ethical side of cloth, its one of the reasons I chose to use it instead of sposies and Ive been sat on my hands about it for ages, nothing personal at all ;)

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:12 pm

I have a dudey baba and 2 ebay cheapies and some mf inserts FFP, just havent got round to listing them yet!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 pm

You could always have a look on Babykind's bargains page for something for your change bag. There are often Wonderoo V1s on there with faulty crossover poppers or similar. Most of our stash is Wonderoo V1s and we get on really well with them, they're not WAHM, but not Ebay cheapies/made in China either :wink:

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I dont think they are cotton hun, I had one a little while ago and it wasn't minkee but it definitely wasnt cotton - sort of like a suedey type of material?

I have a minkee one I dont use any more, but it does have purple hearts on so maybe a bit too girly for Stanley :giggle: you are very welcome to it if you want it though hun :hug:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:44 pm

With respect to some other who have posted, Charli asked a straightforward question about these nappies, not for a lecture on the ethics of buying ebay cheapies. I have a few in my stash and they are fine for 'emergency' nappies if you stuff them with bamboo or hemp. I got the minkee ones though (from a different seller) so I'm afraid I'm no help on whether the outer really is cotton or not!

While most of us would agree that ideally, it would be 'better' to buy WAHM stuff, the reality is that even preloved it *is* more expensive. The OP shouldn't feel she has to justify her buying decisions on here or anywhere else.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat