hf1

Bedtime nappy elastic

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue May 29, 2007 9:55 am

Thats it hun', they are still 'pocket' nappies in style which of course makes for quicker drying, you just have the waterproof bit seperate!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue May 29, 2007 9:55 am

Yes I forgot the bambeasy.

It has a 'pcoket' where you can add extra stuffing. it is quite an absorbant nappy on it's own (more than the bumble I find) but I would think you'd need to add something - any of your pocket inserts would do.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue May 29, 2007 9:59 am

I really don't know what I am doing! I've just looked about and I have no idea where to start.

Do i need to treat the wool? what if this irritates her skin too? It just all feels like a vicious circle.

i was also looking at the talkeczema website and that said wool can itch.

Can other wraps be more breathable that aren't wool?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 am

Honestly it is easier than it seems.

You will need to lanolise your woolies initially a couple of times until they are fully 'waterproof' and then about once a month - maybe even less. they don't need washing every time either, as the wool is self-cleaning.

lanolising is really easy to do - add either a blob of lanolin and a drop of babywash or wool cure to a bowl, add hot water to dissolve it and then when cool add your wool. Leave overnight and then dry.

A few people do have reactions to lanolin but I think that is quite rare. The types of wool tht are used to make good-quality wool covers (merino and blue-faced leicester) are lovely and soft and should not itch or irritate. Some of the merino I use is really really really soft not scratchy at all.

Fleece wraps are more breathable than PUL but not as breathable as wool. They need washing after each use as I found mine got really stinky.

Hope that helps :D

Ali

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue May 29, 2007 10:18 am

Right I have just been reading talkeczema some more and it also says lanolin and wool aren't good for eczema so that's that idea kyboshed.

now what do I do? She never had this problem with disposables but I really don't want to go back there.

Do you think it would help if I didn't put pjs on? she wears sleepsuits still... maybe just a pj top and her grobag would be better? what do you think?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 am

OK, maybe a two part with a fleece wrap then? Wacky wraps are meant to be more breathable than PUL but not sure if they are more so than fleece

Or a different pocket nappy - loads of people on bc are using wonderoos at night and they are 3 for 2 at babykind.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:34 am

Sorry forgot to say i don't think that pj's would make much difference as they aren't really tight in the leg area.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Only just seen this so:

Hannah what ever you try someone will say it's bad for eczema...

Fleece is apparently bad for it as it's a synthetic fabric and can cause the skin to sweat making it worse... But for us Isabelle's skin is worse if we don't use fleece - and ditto with the Wool...

However lansinoh is medical grade purified lanolin - and apparently hypoallergenic (I was very concerned initially about using lanolin on my own skin but it's fine)...

Bambeasy nappies are ace for absorbency and fit but take FOREVER to dry!!!
That said I still love them...
I also love bamboo baby beehinds... They're really good round the legs too...

Try putting a smear of unrefined shea-butter where the nappies rub her legs, make sure the fleece is rolled out too...

How do your minkis do up? If poppers is she on the last setting or can you do them up looser?

Back to the wool issue... Isabelle doesn't have as bad eczema as Erin does - but her nappy area is very sensitive and we have found that using lanolised wool longies and shorts make her skin soooooooo much better in the morning - she's rarely rashy there these days unless she's been at nursery (RARG!) but that's a seperate issue ;)

I hope some of that ramble helps, give me a shout if I can help more...

Steph xx

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Wed May 30, 2007 9:12 am

Well, I had a horrid day yesterday after a horrid night lol!

We put Erin to bed an hour early and I did what I said with her pjs. I just put her in a long sleeve top and left her legs free in her grobag. Her legs weren't red AT ALL around the elastic area this morning and that's after going 7pm - 9am!!!!!!! I think her sleepsuits were restricting her legs and holding the nappy too tight hence the sweating/soreness round the elastic.

She has the large minki and there is plenty of room in them.

Shea butter... wassat?

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat