hf1

Cloth abroad (no washer)

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Cloth abroad (no washer)

Postby charlibunny » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

We are going away in September with all 6 kids (and my mum). Not sure where yet but it's either spain, egypt or the canaries. Mick is working 15 hour days non stop so we can give the kids a week away bless him.

I wanted to take cloth but i was scared my mum would be a bit like " its a holiday why are you making work for yourself" but last night she asked what i was planning to do, and proceeded to tell me she took me to zante for 3 weeks and handwashed my terries :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:

My questions are, what do I take, How do i handwash (and using what?), and how many?? Will it clog my beautiful BV nappies up and ruin them??

Stanley is a heavy wetter and will be 6.5 months old when we fly.

Also, what do you do the day you fly? Take dirty nappies with you? I don't want to leave them festering in the bucket.....

I REALLY don't want to use any sposies. Sophie never wore any (bar after she was PT'd and had a huge bowel attack during the night). Im not saying sposies are awful, it would upset me to use one as that is who I am!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Cloth abroad (no washer)

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm the same, always trying to figure out how to make it work! It may be possible that whererever you go there might be a laundrette nearby that you could take them to. I'm not sure about hand washing nappies, you can't really boil wash these days!

For the day we fly I usually put a wash on in the morning and hang them up just before we leave, then take the 1 dirty one with us. I used to have a washer drier which was really handy as I could just put it on to wash and dry as we left the house.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm afraid we put G is sposies to travel and washed dirty ones before we went and got our house sitter to hang them to dry.
I wouldn't hand wash nappies on holiday but that is just me, are you going to a hotel or apartment? An apartment would be good as they have all facilities, we never do package holidays with the kids, can stand the thought, we book an apartment and flights separate and it is cheaper as well x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

We took our cloth nappies with us for our first holiday and that was the last time. don't get me wrong I'd rather have used them than dispo's but they took up nearly a whole suitcase! and I was constantly thinking about washing and drying and I had a washer and dryer.

a couple of things to think about - how much luggage allowance do you get? They may take up a lot of your allowance if you get a cheap flight.

Also you need a break too. Enjoy your holiday and relax

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 pm

If I really really didn't want to use sposies, personally I would book a self catering holiday that's in accomodation with a washer/drier/washing line. I definitely wouldn't want to hand wash (Especially when on holiday! I wouldn't even want to hand wash dishes, let along nappies!). We will probably go self catering and stay in the UK for the next few years so no worries about baggage allowance etc. IMO I think you are making things difficult on yourself by going abroad to somewhere with no washer if you are someone that doesn't want to use sposies! Sorry, I'm no help at all really! :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm

If it was me, I'd take terry squares or prefolds that dry quickly and are minimal luggage allocation, along with either some wool or wraps. I did that when we went on hols with Kellan, I washed them the evening before, hung them over radiators and doors and they were dry by morning, so I only really needed 10-12 for the whole holiday. I do the same as Asta before the holiday, wash them and hang them to dry before I leave in the morning :D

I've got some terries you can borrow if you want :wink:

My avatar
TheWaterHorse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby TheWaterHorse » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 pm

When we've travelled in the UK, if we've had access to a washing machine, we've taken our cloth nappies, but for going abroad (or where there is no washing machine) I'd take disposables. Cloth nappies take up soooo much space that I'd be wary of flying with them. Plus, if you're not handwashing, it helps you to have a well-earned break too. I know what you mean about not wanting to use sposies, but I found they were actually not too bad on a recent holiday. Still very glad to get back to the cloth though! :)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:38 am

We either go somewhere with a washing machine or use a launderette

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:24 am

We haven't been abroad with cloth - but did manage camping in the UK with them last year.
We took all our pockets & quicker drying nappies and washed 2x whilst we were there. Used the dryer on the campsite to start of with - but them finished with them drying on the guide ropes (and in the car when it started raining :giggle: )
If you can manage with terries - they'd be perfect abroad - plus they'd dry sooooo quick in the heat!
Have you got any flips or prefold? coz they'd work well too.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat