hf1

Mould/mildew stains on PUL?

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Mould/mildew stains on PUL?

Postby Mary Jo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 pm

One of my Flip wraps has sprouted small black spots, I am assuming it's mould/mildew stain. I discovered it after it had been airdrying on a rack for a couple of days.

Is there anything I can do? I did a search and see people have had good results with Milton/bleach solution on stained fabric, but this is PUL and I am afraid it would damage it (as I once ruined a food-stained Airflow by attempting to clean it with Milton). The marks on the Flip wrap are visible on both sides.

If I don't attempt to clean it, will it be ok to use or is it only good for the bin? :(

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Mould/mildew stains on PUL?

Postby monsterm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 pm

I wouldn't use it tbh. Are you sure it's only the pul cover? It wouldn't have got mould on the airer so it might have been in the nappy pail.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I wouldn't use it.
We got similar marks on a vest that we'd dumped in the nappy bucket after a nappy leak coz it was going to go in the nappy wash - however it was at the bottom of the bucket and by the time we came round the nappy wash it was covered. Didn't come out in the wash - so binned it.
I didn't want to take the risk personally.

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mary Jo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks ladies. It completely puzzled me because NOTHING else had marks on. I wash the bucket out with boiling water every time I empty it as well. I'd understand if it was a rogue wrap that had been stuck in a bag and not washed for ages, but it hadn't. Totally puzzling. I actually rang up the shop I bought it from, and they suggested washing it in Rockin Green, and sent a sample; as I'm planning to strip wash some nappies on Monday I will stick it in then, and if the marks don't come out I'll get back to them. I also rang Baba Me, who supplied the shop I got it from, and they mentioned something about possibly getting a replacement sent, since it's less than 1 year old.

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mary Jo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

just to update - I tried the Rockin Green strip, and then a dishwasher tablet strip, to no avail.

so I posted a question on the Flip Diapers Facebook page, and got a response from Flip - suggesting I try 60ml (1/4 cup) regular chlorine bleach in a hot wash. have just done it and the nappy is clear. :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat