hf1

I'm sad, I've lost the love for my cloth nappies

My avatar
shellbean
Clothie
Clothie

I'm sad, I've lost the love for my cloth nappies

Postby shellbean » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

I'm sad to say I don't think I'll be buying any more cloth nappies. I'm having trouble with leaking, getting them to fit Rowan and also then getting clothes to fit over the top of his long body and the nappy. OH won't use them at all and I don't use them when we go out. Rowan seems to be a heavy wetter, I couldn't leave him in a disposable over night at all. On the other hand I prefer how he feels in a real nappy and I know we are saving money with them but I am getting to the point of needing to buy new ones for him and I'm not sure that I want to spend the money really.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: I'm sad, I've lost the love for my cloth nappies

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 am

Talk to us... tell us what nappies your using/how often your chaging etc etc etc :wink:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 am

what have you been using Shell? It can be difficult to find something to suit, especialy with a heavy wetter. Maybe take a break and come back to it again in a month or so.

My avatar
shellbean
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shellbean » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 am

We have a combination of nappies, Popngro, natures babies loveables (outgrown) 1 tots bots bamboo, tots bots terry, lollipop micros, pre-loved bambooty (this I liked but he has outgrown), itti bitti snap in one (also outgrown), ellas house, a kissaluv (too small), 1 bum genius, and 2 flips oh and some ebay cheapies.

I change him usually just after a feed so normally every 3 hours but sometimes in between as well. I think he has leaked through nearly everything at some point except possibly the ellas but then they are bulky and I can't put him in certain clothes like little jeans or trousers and definitely dungarees which is a shame because people gave and bought us some lovely things for him and he can't spend all his time in sleepsuits. And then those don't always do up.

I've been using Lidl disposables over night and when we are out for a couple of weeks and I don't think he has leaked through one of those at all, if he has it was only once.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

Hmm thats quite a vareity... I would suggest either a bamboo fitted like a bamboo little lambs or an organic bamboo velour (OBV) fitted nappy (dunk n fluff/goodmama etc)...if he is a heavy wetter then pockets/AIOs might not cut it anymore with him...how old is he??

ETA...with a decent wrap such as thirsties etc Flip wraps will go over some fitteds too!

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:59 am

3 hours is quite a long time for any cloth nappy to hold up, hon - especially if you have a heavyish wetter. Most people generally change cloth nappies every two hours or so.

Are your nappies truely leaking (i.e., is the nappy saturated) when you change them or are they wicking? If they're just really wet, try changing every 2 hours and boosting them with bamboo or zorb (both are really absorbant). Wicking is when the wetness seeps out of the nappy onto LO's clothes etc. This usually happens if their vest is too tight and squashes the wee out onto it. You can get around this by using vest extenders to make sure that there is nothing too tight over the nappy.

Also, some nappies just aren't a good fit on every baby! I love the look of ittis for example but I've tried them several times on DD and have simply been unable to get a good fit with her. If bambooty worked for you, then why not sell your LOs stash on the classified and then buy some preloved bambootys in the next size up?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

I know it is said over and over again but I really think bamboo fitteds and woolies are the most reliable :D Maybe give it a try? But it can be hard finding clothes to fit if you aren't using wool trousers as a cover! In my experience that gets easier as they get bigger. And if you want you little man to wear the clothes that are special then why not cloth part-time so he gets wear out of them or as a PP said just take a break for a while. He still has plenty of time for nappies :D

My avatar
shellbean
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shellbean » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 am

thanks guys, I've tried vest extenders which are ok except for the trouser part of the outfit lol. Rowan is 3 months now and I kind of thought I wouldn't need to replace most of his nappies this early on tbh. I think maybe taking a break for a week or two, doing stripping washes and sorting what we have might help me get my head round it. And maybe just get some Bambootys and some other bamboo ones and even if I part time cloth it would still help really.

stormflowers wrote:3 hours is quite a long time for any cloth nappy to hold up, hon - especially if you have a heavyish wetter. Most people generally change cloth nappies every two hours or so.

The nappy lady I saw kind of lead me to believe that changing every 4 hours was the norm tbh

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 am

shellbean wrote:The nappy lady I saw kind of lead me to believe that changing every 4 hours was the norm tbh

Gosh 4 hours :shock: no i dont think thats the norm...certainly not from the clothies that i know...I dont even leave it 4 hours when mine are in sposies :-? We change every 2.5-3 hours :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat