hf1

Very excited! And your help needed please!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Very excited! And your help needed please!

Postby knees_on » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 am

Right, I need your help ladies and views please.

Following a (rare) visit to the new HV she commented on my nappies, saying she used cloth with her now 6 yr old. I explained I made and sold and she then suggested we work together and she would be more than happy to promote me as part of her antenatal visits. :wine:

I explained that I started making nappies for people to help people out who couldn't afford the outlay and also to encourage those who may not have considered it. I find it very difficult trying to have a business and also still really wanting to keep the helping people out side of it.

Anyway, as far as working things out with the HV go its definitely on a helping those who may not be able to afford the outlay and encouraging people to try cloth. The question is how to go about this.

The plan is:
To help people work the cost by selling nappies at reduced price to those newbies.
Encourage the use of cloth and educate new MUms on the benefits and care of cloth.
Enable people to try different nappy options before buying (it appears we don't have much of a nappy scheme going on as I have never heard of anything)
Obviously promote my business

How can I identify those who maybe can't afford the outlay?
What is the best thing to offer cloth wise?
How can I give a demonstration etc when I have all 5 children at home everyday?
WHat would you as a new Mum hope to get out of a scheme like this?
What would be helpful to find out from the HV at the antenatal visit?
Do you think non-cloth users would be completely against borrowing a trial nappy pack that has been passed on and therefore previously used?
What would be the best nappies to give out to try (I don't make pocket nappies/AIOs)?
Any other ideas very greatefully received. Anything I hadn't thought of??

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Very excited! And your help needed please!

Postby knees_on » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 pm

anyone?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 pm

I would have been happy to use a trial kit!!

Could you make some basic nappies but pretty colours, a few applix, a few side snap and a few onesize to give an Idea. You could offer Demo's at your house after bed time once a month? Or in School hours?
Do you have any old BG's hanging about?? Maybe people could donate you some so you can add a few pockets to the mix. Make some prefolds too?

If you know anyone that could make you a leaflet/info thingy on the costs of nappies Vs sposies and also link clothnappytree etc and you could do a price list of your things??

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't really have any advice to add but just wanted to say that if there was something like this where I live when I was pregnant I would have loved it. The reason we only started using cloth when Darcy was 8-9 months was because when I briefly looked into cloth when I was pregnant it was so confusing with all the different types. It was only when I looked back into it once newborn madness had settled down that I started to understand all the different types etc so if I had someone explaining all of this to me and got to see nappies IRL etc before Darcy was born then I am sure we would have done cloth from day 1!!!

Sorry rambling a bit now :giggle:

Good luck with it all, sounds like a fantastic thing for you to do :wine:

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:48 pm

We used a trial kit which was brilliant because the nappies that I thought we'd like, I really didn't like and in the end, we chose something that I hadn't even heard of before.

Our local nappy lady goes to all the NHS ante natel classes. Maybe you could try and do something like that.

As for identifying those that can't afford the outlay, maybe using a benefits certificate or something. But then that would cross all those who are just above the benefit threshold but still can't afford the outlay. Sorry, I've just totally contradicted myself haha.

HTH

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm

I haven't really got any more advice to add that hasn't already been said but if the HV is going to be working with you on this she could highlight the people that she thinks could benefit from this since she will be working closely with them

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

A form asking them to tick a box confirming they are in recipe of either IS, income based JSA, ESA or WTC with an income under a specified figure etc. They should also supply current evidence of eligibility.

To show at a demo?

A small selection of reliable, easy to use nappies and accessories - shaped+wrap/pocket+stuffing with a mixture of poppers and velco fastenings, nappi nippa, nappy wet bag etc.

If you're not being paid expenses, then ask them to come to you at a time that suits you.

Impartial advice and support.

Useful links to sites like CNT and gauge interest.

Do you think non-cloth users would be completely against borrowing a trial nappy pack that has been passed on and therefore previously used?

WRAP introduced hygiene regulations for nappy laundries and nappy trial kits. This will give you an idea what standards are expected so you can reassure potential users.

What would be the best nappies to give out to try (I don't make pocket nappies/AIOs)?

Just demonstrating or giving out your own nappies is not going to look at all impartial. The NHS are not allowed to promote an individual company or product and if it's obvious you are just promoting yourself and not cloth nappies in general they will not allow you to use ante-natal classes etc. for demos.

This is a lot of work if you want to do it properly. If you don't have the tme to commit to it, consider getting funding for a part-time paid worker or expenses for other volunteers to help you.

Anyone that comes for a demo or borrow a trial kit should be made aware that you are a seller.

Speak to your HV about funding, promotion, insurance etc.

Shout if you have any questions - I have been a seller, run nappy networks and projects and worked on the real nappy campaign.
Last edited by nappynutter on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 pm

People on benefits? Or assume no one can afford the outlay because the majority of those that can afford it would maybe rather spend the money on other baby gadgets! I know most people wouldn't want to invest in a nappy kit only to find the nappies they have chosen don't work for them, and the initial cost puts people off giving them a go just in case they find they have wasted their money. I know one couple who sold all their bamboozles because they leaked, and never tried anything else (until I lent them some of DDs nappies), and another couple who used cloth when their son was very small but gave up when he got bigger and the nappies started leaking.

A mixture! Different nappies/styles/colours/ budgets will suit different babies/parents.

How old are your children? Could they help demo the nappies, maybe on dolls or teddies? Just to show how simple to use they really are? Could you use the youngest as a model for your nappies?

Great (pretty and functional) nappies at a good price, obviously you'd want to highlight the cost of disposables compared to real nappies. Support if we are having leaking/washing/etc issues. Maybe some type of monthly coffee morning to meet other clothie mums/babies. A way of selling the nappies back once no longer needed (after potty training or if there are some that we are justn ot getting on with). A FB group to keep in touch with everyone else in the scheme. Maybe a nappy rental/trial.

Initial cost, how to wash, how many needed, what colours are available :giggle:

Initially (ie before DD was born and I was a non cloth user) I didn't like the idea TBH. Maybe disposable liners are the solution to this?

A mixture, as it's personal preference which ones people will like, and different styles/sizes will suit different shaped babies. GN colours might be a good plan though.

Good luck! Hope you can convert lots of bums to cloth!

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 pm

I find the fact that assuming those who can't afford the initial outlay of starting up on cloth are those on benefits VERY insulting!!!! And very small minded too :confused:

When H was a few months and id discovered abit more about cloth through baby forums etc I was desperate to then convert but literally had NO money to do so. Obviously I didn't know preloved existed then but I did know about freecycle and it was thanks to them we were able to convert.
You can't go around just making a trial pack for people on benefits or making it a different price for them , well not unless you want to insult people!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat