hf1

Very excited! And your help needed please!

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Very excited! And your help needed please!

Postby e586 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 pm

I co
Bugglyboo wrote:We used a trial kit which was brilliant because the nappies that I thought we'd like, I really didn't like and in the end, we chose something that I hadn't even heard of before.

Our local nappy lady goes to all the NHS ante natel classes. Maybe you could try and do something like that.

As for identifying those that can't afford the outlay, maybe using a benefits certificate or something. But then that would cross all those who are just above the benefit threshold but still can't afford the outlay. Sorry, I've just totally contradicted myself haha.

HTH

I do this- I go to the last session they have and talk about slings and nappies and give some info on where to get more advice/help. I tend to take a OS fitted, a sized fitted, a wrap, and 2 different BTP nappies. Plus a wet bag, cloth wipes, paper liners and sanatiser. I just show them the different types of nappies and talk a bit about materials (drying time, absorbency) and how many you need. I go through the cost compared to what disposables would cost til potty training and general stuff like storing/washing/drying. I pass the things around and let them ask questions, then give them details of where they can get more info if they wish. My children come with me and I feed the older 2 snacks and Lucas usually sits with the woman who runs the classes. He's a good example and distraction! :giggle:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 am

sophie2198 wrote:I find the fact that assuming those who can't afford the initial outlay of starting up on cloth are those on benefits VERY insulting!!!! And very small minded too :confused:

When H was a few months and id discovered abit more about cloth through baby forums etc I was desperate to then convert but literally had NO money to do so. Obviously I didn't know preloved existed then but I did know about freecycle and it was thanks to them we were able to convert.
You can't go around just making a trial pack for people on benefits or making it a different price for them , well not unless you want to insult people!

Unfortunately, this is how a lot of incentive schemes work. Many charge a small fee for a trial pack unless you are in receipt of one of the benefits I listed in my previous post. Some also take WTC and a low income into account which is why I also included that. (It would be up to the person organising it to decide what the income cut off was.) The reason for this is that you need some kind of evidence that people can't afford to pay and receipt of one of these things it easy to prove. When schemes are being externally funded this is even more important as there has to be evidence that the funding genuinely helped the target group and wasn't just taken advantage of by freeloaders which is a huge problem for incentive schemes. For example, lots of free packs from council incentive schemes are taken by people already using cloth nappies - this does not help divert landfill.

It's also common for businesses/incentive schemes to charge a small fee (and/or deposit) for borrowing nappies to try out to cover themselves for damaged/lost/stolen items.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:53 pm

So what about People who work yet can't afford the cost of a start up kit?? They go without??? Great. I certainly couldn't afford it and we'd never have used cloth if it wasn't for freecycle.

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm

don't forget terries! they're so cheap they're practically free, and plenty of people find them no trouble at all. Once you've learnt a fold, you're good to go, and a set of 24 will give the freedom to wash only twice a week and cost very little.

I convinced my DH to go cloth by calling them 'beer tokens' (ie money saved). My mum convinced my cousin to go cloth by calling them 'clothes treats' (ie money saved buys mum a nice outfit). I find the people who can least afford the outlay are also often the people who most quickly respond to being told the financial cost of disposables. Good luck!

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 pm

sophie2198 wrote:So what about People who work yet can't afford the cost of a start up kit?? They go without??? Great. I certainly couldn't afford it and we'd never have used cloth if it wasn't for freecycle.

If you work and are on a low income then you get benefit or WTC depending on your circumstances. I didn't say I agreed with it. :wink:

My avatar
batgurl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby batgurl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi.I'm expecting in September, 1st child, and was wondering where you are based. I can't find any support for people wanting to use real nappies in my area (Rotherham, South Yorkshire) at all, obviously there's the internet, but its not the same as handling them yourself. Once my child is born I'll want to try a couple of different varieties as the choice is overwhelming, and I want to know what I'm getting before I commit to a big order! Thanks

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 pm

batgurl wrote:Hi.I'm expecting in September, 1st child, and was wondering where you are based. I can't find any support for people wanting to use real nappies in my area (Rotherham, South Yorkshire) at all, obviously there's the internet, but its not the same as handling them yourself. Once my child is born I'll want to try a couple of different varieties as the choice is overwhelming, and I want to know what I'm getting before I commit to a big order! Thanks

Real Nappies – Get £40 as Cashback or a Free Trial Nappy Pack
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council is giving Rotherham householders the opportunity to receive a £40 refund when they buy real nappies. Alternatively, you may apply for a trial nappy pack worth approximately £40 to include; wraps, nappies and liners. Size 1 fits babies from 6-12lbs, Size 2 fits babies from 10- 20lbs, and Size 3 fits babies from 20-35lbs.

How to apply:
Read the terms and conditions (over) to make sure that you are eligible, then fill in the form (remember to attach any receipts if applicable) and return to:
The Waste Management Unit, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, Howard Building, College Lane, Rotherham, S65 1AX.

http://moderngov.rotherham.gov.uk/mgCon ... x?ID=13422

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat