hf1

Customs charges on nappies from US

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Customs charges on nappies from US

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 pm

I am hoping to order some nappies from Dunk n Fluff but just trying to work out final cost before I go ahead. Have e-mailed Tami and got an approximate postage cost but just wanted to double check that you don't get charged from customs on nappies? and if I do is it easy to claim it back? I will only be ordering 1 or 2 so not going to be a really high value.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Customs charges on nappies from US

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:03 pm

customs are not supposed to charge VAT but unfortunately they are incorrectly charging more and more. It takes a while to get a refund and you don't always get the handling fee refunded. :x

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks :D Think I will just go for it and hope that I dont get charged. I am sure it will be worth it :yahoo:

My avatar
mrsspoony
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby mrsspoony » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 pm

I got charged £13.20 last week by ordering Gen-Y wraps from US, £8 of which was RM's fee :shock: . Louise, do you know how I would get it back? Thanks, Hannah

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Grr at customs!!
I got a package from OWW today with no charges, think it is hit and miss x

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:23 pm

I got a babyhawk direct, and got charged £19.76 by customs!!! :shock: I shan't be doing that again!

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm

I bought a stack of nappies from U.S. The seller agreed to put a lower price on the paperwork so that I wouldn't get charged.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Rebeccar75 wrote:I bought a stack of nappies from U.S. The seller agreed to put a lower price on the paperwork so that I wouldn't get charged.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get found out you could both get into a lot of trouble. Also, any item that has VAT applied to it within the UK should have import VAT also applied if the value of the parcel is over £18. Unfortunately customs atm seem to be charging VAT on VATexempt items such as baby clothes and nappies so putting a lower value on the parcel would not avoid them adding charges I'm afraid. I have been charged VAT on 2 parcels containing 1 nappy each in the last few months!! :x :evil:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Louise wrote:
Rebeccar75 wrote:I bought a stack of nappies from U.S. The seller agreed to put a lower price on the paperwork so that I wouldn't get charged.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get found out you could both get into a lot of trouble. Also, any item that has VAT applied to it within the UK should have import VAT also applied if the value of the parcel is over £18. Unfortunately customs atm seem to be charging VAT on VATexempt items such as baby clothes and nappies so putting a lower value on the parcel would not avoid them adding charges I'm afraid. I have been charged VAT on 2 parcels containing 1 nappy each in the last few months!! :x :evil:

I agree, I couldn't do that as I would feel too guilty, and would be the one that got caught. Maybe I am too honest :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat