hf1

Customs charges on nappies from US

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Customs charges on nappies from US

Postby Rebeccar75 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:15 am

Do you know what..?? It never even occurred to me that I was doing anything wrong as thought it would just save time in the long run as I wouldn't have to go through the palava of claiming it back. :shock:

Hannahboo wrote:
Louise wrote:
Rebeccar75 wrote:I bought a stack of nappies from U.S. The seller agreed to put a lower price on the paperwork so that I wouldn't get charged.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get found out you could both get into a lot of trouble. Also, any item that has VAT applied to it within the UK should have import VAT also applied if the value of the parcel is over £18. Unfortunately customs atm seem to be charging VAT on VATexempt items such as baby clothes and nappies so putting a lower value on the parcel would not avoid them adding charges I'm afraid. I have been charged VAT on 2 parcels containing 1 nappy each in the last few months!! :x :evil:

I agree, I couldn't do that as I would feel too guilty, and would be the one that got caught. Maybe I am too honest :giggle:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Customs charges on nappies from US

Postby babyroo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:17 am

Rebeccar75 wrote:Do you know what..?? It never even occurred to me that I was doing anything wrong as thought it would just save time in the long run as I wouldn't have to go through the palava of claiming it back. :shock:

Just make sure that they clearly label it as nappies. To be honest a seller should know better than to do it!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat