Going cloth nappy and terrified

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Going cloth nappy and terrified

Postby ameliepoulin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 am

Dear all,

I have a sort of problem now that I had my baby and have a nice nappy stash: I find myself terrified by the idea of switching to cloth nappies with my almost 6 week-old. I've been using sposies so far because they came as gifts, but I have LLs fitteds and wraps and Bambinex in size 1, Strechies, Pop-ins, Bumgenius organic and Easyfits for size 2, nappy liners, bucket, nappy bag, the whole stuff! I find her bum huge in them compared to the sposies (which is only normal and could live with). What really puts me off from using cloth are the marks on her body after I change her and me being terrified of the nappy and wrap elastic not too tight on her (obssesively sticking my finger everywhere to check). Now, she is a big baby, not in pounds, but in cm (she is already 59 cm tall, being born with 54 already), and the body suits for up to 3 months will probably fit her just a few more weeks (hence the need for vest extenders). She sleeps on her sides and I have the feeling that her spine is not aligned properly when in cloth, as her bum is slightly elevated and her leg up in the air. Plus, those marks on her body are always present on the side on which she sleeps, mainly because the weight of the wee in the nappy. Don't know if I make myself clear, but please please advise me what to do do use cloth confidently. She peeps a lot and sleeps for 5 hours straight now and really don't know how to go about the frequency of change, especially since she sleeps that much.
Thank you all in advance.

C.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Going cloth nappy and terrified

Postby docmaggoo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:29 am

:hug: :hug:
Congrat's on your new baby first!
We all had our doubts about cloth nappies at the beginning, so don't worry.

My DS was about 8-10 weeks when we first started with him.
What do the marks look like on your little one?
Sometimes mine get 'inprint' type marks, from the fabric being next to skin - that's fine.
Or are you talking about sore patches??

When it comes to night time and now that she sleeps for longer - as long as you have a nappy that is boosted enough that it doesn't leak, then don't worry. I know its easy for me to say here - but its fine to leave it on for longer as long as it doens't leak & there is enough absorbancy to see you through.
Just play around with the absorbancy.
My DD is roughly around the same size as your little girl (she's petite for 4 months)
It's taken us a week or so to get her night nappy right. She doesn't wake us unless she wants a feed.
So if she was damp in the morning from leaking (she's a heavy widdler too) - the next night we added an extra booster, until we got it right.

You don't have to switch 100% all at once. Just start using your cloth gradually.
As you grow in confidence at using them & know what suits your little girl - you'll use them more & more.

There are loads of us on here - who've had the same thoughts
So any questions, just ask!
:hug: :hug:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:24 am

:wine: Congratulations on your daughter! and yes the world of cloth nappies can be a daunting one, it's so different from what most parents are used to, I remember worrying about the marks on my daughter's skin, constantly poking my finger in to see if it was too tight, more often the nappy fell off because it was too loose!

Don't worry about the size of the nappy, cloth bums can be dauntingly huge!! They also keep baby's hips and spine at a natural spread angle, that disposables don't and cloth nappies are sometimes prescribed for babies with hip problems! Remember too that disposable nappies are a fairly recent invention, and many of us grew up with much several terries pinned to us, under plastic pants :wink: And we have suffered back or hip problems and we all learned to move and walk just fine :D It's hard to get babygrows and vests etc that fit well, and if they're tight over the nappy they can cause wicking (where moisture is squeezed out of the nappy around the leg bands or waist) Frugi sells "cloth bum friendly" clothes, and some high street retailers are better than others too (sorry I don't know which!)

If she's sleeping 5 hours (and :wine: to that!) then just add some extra boosting, if you haven't got boosters already then try ones made of bamboo, hemp or Zorb. You may also find that wool or fleece covers work better for nighttimes than PUL wraps, and don't leave red marks either. Red marks are usually not painful or uncomfortable for baby, and if they were, your baby probably wouldn't be sleeping for so long!

There are lots of benefits for using cloth nappies , I hope you start to enjoy them :D

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:31 pm

good luck with the cloth nappy leap! i still get nervous doing the nappies up too tightly on DD and she's been wearing cloth for 4 months now... i stopped using PUL wraps because they were leaving red sores around her legs, where the elastic is (they were motherease wraps) and now we try to use only wool, fleece and occasionally an all-in-one. hugs jody x

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 am

Thank you so much to all of you for reassuring me. I do hope to tackle the matter in a more brave fashion, after all it's not rocket science (that what I say when I am scared to death :)), will simply get down to it and post more questions as they arise. If you know of any brands that sell cloth nappy-friendly baby clothes do let me know, as long as they can be ordered from the Internet, as I don't live in England.

Many thanks, again
xxx

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:48 am

we don't live in england either! but post to wales generally works well! ;-)

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Don't worry about the marks on the skin. Lots of people gets marks from the elastic on socks but it doesn't hurt so I guess that the marks from cloth nappies don't hurt either.
We started using cloth about 6 weeks ago when Ed was 6 weeks and we love it. We've just recieved some longies which are fab because they stretch. We get so many comments about them :D

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:04 pm

As above, cloth helps with hip alignment. My dh was put in double terries as a baby to help his hips. Think of all of the people who would have been in cloth, Linford Christie is a good example - I bet he was in cloth ;)

As for clothes, Frugi are good, their clothes are designed for cloth, as are a lot of the WAHM Wonders on here! I think Frugi ship abroad and I'm sure a lot of the WAHMs here would too.

My avatar
jobeama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jobeama » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I noticed you've got pop-ins, we use them overnight for 10ish hrs & only 1 leak when hubby thinks he did it up wrong, they've been great for us & should do 5 hrs even on a heavy wetter. Good luck & be brave, once you get going it'll make you feel really good mama!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat