hf1

Help with chunky 5mo - everything leaks or leaves red marks!

My avatar
BitingFairy
Clothie
Clothie

Help with chunky 5mo - everything leaks or leaves red marks!

Postby BitingFairy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with getting my 5mo, very (very) chunky DS into cloth properly without too many more leaks or bright red legs!

I have a nearly 8 year old who was in cloth but things have changed a lot since, and she was a slight wee thing. I don't know how heavy DS is now, but he was 18lbs at 12 weeks, so he's well into the 20s now I guess! He doesn't fit into any of the size 1 nappies/wraps I had for DD and hasn't done for ages. Size 2 tots (left overs) look enormously bulky on him (he's already quite wide!). I have tried the wonderoos that worked really well for DD and they always leak. Every time.

I bought some Flip covers which seem about the best so far, but we've had a couple of leaks when using with a prefold rather than the insert. These are the only nappies where he's not on the loosest popper at the leg!

I also have

Gen Y Universal - Large size, using last thigh poppers and still gets really red legs, smallest waist and it leaked.

Rumperoos - last popper at the legs, no leaks, but seem expensive if there's no growing room.

Blueberry coverall - can't remember which popper, but there wasn't much room round the legs. (are you sensing a theme here?!)

The Flip covers are on the second to last popper round the leg too.

He in the biggest rise on all of these - I tried going down, but there's no way they'd fit. (He's tall too, in 6-9 clothes, but I only buy from generously cut shops, so prob 9-12 in most places)

I'm beginning to lose hope after 2 more leaks and some startlingly red legs earlier :(

Please does anyone have experience in fitting the extremely generously proportioned thigh?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Help with chunky 5mo - everything leaks or leaves red marks!

Postby Rufies mama » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi, Your LO sounds a lot like mine, my baby is also a real chunk, (29lb plus at 10 months) he had 14" thighs a short while ago (I think now that he is crawling and moving about a lot he's slimmed down a tad). We've found that side snaps or aplix fastenings are essential for fatty thighs. He has tended to have the thighs on the biggest snaps of his side snaps but bear in mind that when you baby starts moving around his thighs will probably actually get smaller. I never believed it of my little michellin man but he has slimmed down a little. My favourite nappies for him at the moment are Bamboo velour fitteds (Luscious little somethings, Holdens Landing, Little gumnut) with wool over the top which is nice and breathable for the summer. You'll be much less likely to get leaks in fitteds! Don't even bother with other snap nappies such as Issy Bears, they look pretty but you probably won't get a good fit. We have Ecobubs wool nappies and Blueberry side snaps but they're not the best fit to be honest. I do like Tots bots bamboozle stretches too though once again, not any room there to get any fatter. Aplix is good as you can angle the tab down towards the centre thus giving more thigh room and a bit less waist room. Take my advice and don't bother with one size nappies, they will almost certainly NOT last to potty, that's gibberish. I can get them on Roo but they don't look comfortable. For PUL wraps we like Blueberry Coveralls.
We had been recommended Magicalls but they left red marks on my LOs thighs. Bumgenious are not a good fit for us either, Charlie banana no good, Wee notions no good... Feel free to contact me with brands that you're thinking of trying and I'll tell you if we had any luck with them...

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Ok, quick reply as I'm on my phone but, re the leaks, in pockets what inserts are you using? We were getting leaks until I ditched microfibre (well I use it if I'm desperate). The best combo is bamboo with hemp underneath. Are the inserts new? When you say the nappies leak - are the inserts sopping wet or still dry? If they are still dry then it's more than likely a fit issue, if they are sopping wet then you need more absorbency and possibly the inserts need stripping.

What wraps have you tried? Some give us red marks but we get on ok with Weenotions. We don't use PUL much now though. Have you thought about trying fleece and/or wool with fitteds? They are much more reliable for heavy wetters and no more red marks on legs :)
Last edited by rachymoo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sjm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Have you tried the flip inserts with a bamboo booster

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 pm

DS1 had rather chunky thighs too esp at that age. We couldn't use BG as his thighs were too big for the middle setting but too small for full rise. I found coolababy's (ebay cheapies) were great as they were massive around the leg, also since then I think the new wonderoo's will have been good at that age too. His thighs were about 12" back then.

My avatar
BitingFairy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby BitingFairy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks for your replies, it's nice to know he's not the only chunk!

I ended up speaking ot an advisor yesterday who recommended old style Fuzzibunz XL and Airflow wraps XL - they arrived today and scarily they do fit! He's in XL nappies at 5 months old!

I haven't tried them properly yet, just a quick look for fit, but I'm going to get them in the wash today and order more if they do the job tomorrow. The only "problem" is that they only have the FB in white and I wanted some funky colours <stamps feet and has toddler style tantrum>

I've used the Flip covers with the staydry inserts and they seem fine, although snug, but they did leak with prefolds. I might try a new version large Fuzzibunz to see how they compare.

Isn't it supposed to be cheaper with the second baby?!

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby clairegrace » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

He'll slim down once he starts moving hun. DD has always had big thighs but a tiny waist. I've used mainly Coolababies since she was around 5 months and am still on the same snaps now at 18 months!! I've also found fuzzis (old style) good :D

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm

bamboo terry squares! my super chunky thighed dd is also a super heavy wetter. Terries are easy, lovely and fluffy and you can change the fit and the fold as your baby changes shape. I have had success with Airflow wraps (Rikki give better fit), Essential wraps (Nature Babies) and even the Little Lambs size 1 was excellent over terries - she's only just outgrown it at about 17 lbs.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat