Is using cloth really cheaper?

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Is using cloth really cheaper?

Postby Rebeccar75 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Wow :shock: :shock: you must have had a MAHOOSIVE stash :lol:

ladybird wrote:Wait until you're finished with nappies and sell off the stash ;) Ours paid for the best part of a new bathroom :wine:

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Well maybe IF I have another baby it will be cheaper, but even if it isn't I couldn't use disposables - they are soooo boring (and expensive and bad for recycling and smelly and not at all cool to show off during this lovely summer weather)!!

A spreadsheet sounds veeery organised but if I did one of them my oh would realise how many nappies I have bought :oops: . I made some washable wipes out of an old fleece and apile of flannels that I never use so one side is flannel (for the sticky pooey bits) and the other is fleece for general washing and they are fab. My sil came to stay and asked if I had a wet wipe and looked horrifed that I would actually wash and reuse rather than chuck down the loo!!!! :giggle:

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:23 pm

You don't g the same money back on them when you sell them now, when I started there was a good second hand Market but expensive nappies go for very little now, so in that respect I don't think you get much money back. I think I will have sever money because I've put away most of Sandys nappies for Scarlett but if I was starting again from scratch I ink I eould do things differently and have a simpler stash?

My avatar
mummyclo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummyclo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am

I think 95% of my stash is preloved, i don't think ive spent more than £200 on my whole staqsh and a lot is GN so i can use them for the next bubba. Tey also hold their value well so i could get some money back of ones i sell too x

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 am

I used to have a spreadsheet and I wasn't doing badly between what I'd sold and bought. Once I sold some nappies for more than I paid for them, when everyone was going mad for itti bitti's! The preloved market isn't what it was 6-12 months ago though. Unfortunately our BGv3s are knackered so will need replacing when we have a second.

For me it wasn't about the cost really although I don't want to spend crazy money, it was just that I hate disposables and don't want to dump that much waste in the ground for my daughters grandchildren to deal with!

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:40 am

My main stash was MEOS and was used on both of my two so they definitely saved us money. I sold Rowan's NB stash and used that to buy my pretties and I managed to sell them on when she PT for about 70% of the original cost so they ended up not actually costing us that much. I'm trying to sell the remaining few NN and fitteds that we have left and the second hand market has definitely slowed but they are going. I'm not sure exactly how much we have saved but it was certainly cheaper than sposies plus my kids have had lovely soft fluffy bums, pretty fluff to show off and I've enjoyed a nappy obsession for a few years. :giggle:

Plus, I wouldn't have got to know all you lovely ladies if I'd been using sposies!! :D

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:29 pm

i intended to save money by using cloth (that was the main reason) and have bought all my nappies either preloved or from ebay. but since finding this site i've bought lots more and have got fussy about the nappies we use! e.g. i love coloured nappies and girly nappies whereas i intended to only buy gender neutral colours so that i could use the nappies for no. 2 baby. guessing how much i have spent for the entire stash (all sizes, including newborn nappies, wool, wipes, and other accessories like wet bags, tupperware etc - and i had to buy extra Easyfit nappies for the nursery), it might be about £700... hopefully i won't have to but hopefully i can get some of the money back by selling on when the bubbas have potty trained.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:44 pm

I think it depends on what you buy and then what you do with them after! I did a quite extensive article a couple of years ago which I need to update but I would think the figures would be fairly similar still! As people have said the wipes really add to the savings!
http://www.clothnappytree.com/info.php?article=6

Personally I bought my initial stash for around £150 pounds, this included my buckets and wipes and dispo liners. When I sold the stash on when he was around 6 months I got £120 but still had my bucket and wipes etc!!! So less than £30 for 6 months of nappies - I don't think you can beat that with even the cheapest and nastiest of dispos! :wine: :wine: :D

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm

I just looked up what my start up costs were for nappies: a dozen top quality bamboo terry squares (new), one LL fitted plus wrap (new), 2 Nature Babies BTP wraps (new), 10 reusable wipes (new), nappy nippas, 2 mesh bags and a bin. £76. I then added 5 second hand (unused) Tots Bots Flexitots for £35 in total and 2 Mother Ease wraps (second hand) for £9. Total: £120 and only the last 2 wraps had actually been used before.

If only I could have stopped there...I'm now experimenting with HL for nights, I got preloved Itties for DH to use, then Bambooties which we really loved.

Why did the second hand market slow down so much - anyone got a theory?

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat