hf1

Is using cloth really cheaper?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Is using cloth really cheaper?

Postby justme123 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am

Ive been thinking about this too. Looking at the cost of disposables, it seems you can get between 50 and 100 nappies for £10 (depending on brand / special offers etc) so if you spend £10 on a nappy you would need to use it at least 50 times to save any money. I'm not sure... especially for a pretty or eg newborn nappy. Maybe for a more functional nappy set that you use exclusively. So you're relying on resale vale to make any saving.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 am

Wait until you're finished with nappies and sell off the stash ;) Ours paid for the best part of a new bathroom :wine:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:45 am

ladybird wrote:Wait until you're finished with nappies and sell off the stash ;) Ours paid for the best part of a new bathroom :wine:

That's what I keep telling DH!
It's an investment for the future :giggle:
(I've bought many preloved - so that's been even more cost effective)

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm

It's still worked out cheaper here- some of our nappies are being used for the 3rd child, and I sell things I'm not using to fund new nappies or other things.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:11 pm

I think it depends on a number of factors. Buying pretty fluff is expensive but you can get part of your money back. If you stick to one type of nappy (like the Baba & Boo BTP which is £7.50), you are not going to make any real money back off them but you have less of an inital output. If you bought 15-20 baba & boo nappies it is much much cheaper than even getting 100 nappies for £10 on special offer.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:15 pm

Also depends on which sposies you choose. I only ever use the 'eco' one's to avoid the real nasty stuff and they are £6 per pack so when I had 2 in day nappies I would have been spending £12-18 a week!

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I kept a spreadsheet :oops: of buy and sell costs for nappies for my 2. They didnt train till 3 and 3 1/4 so quite a long time in them. I bought some gorgeous nappies and pockets and also used Fuzzies and some basic pockets a lot too. I worked out that including washable wipes too and wool for night for DD (DS was in pockets) it cost me £1000 overall. I think thats a lot less than 6 years of disposables and wet wipes would have cost.

I actually think washable wipes are the big big savers - would highly recommend them! :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Heather London wrote:I actually think washable wipes are the big big savers - would highly recommend them! :)

Totally agree :thumbsup: & wow at how organised you are.

My avatar
rachie77
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rachie77 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm sure I've spent a fortune on my fluffy nappies but most of them were bought 2nd hand and I have sold any that I won't use again or didn't get on with.

I like the idea of a spreadsheet to work out how much I spent (should of done that although dh would of know everything I spent! :hohoho: )

I think over all with the resale value on the pretty ones you make but most of your outlay back.

I hated disposables as they always smelt horrid and never looked as cute.

Mine are now about to be used for number 3 so very cost effective for me! :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat