hf1

Milton

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Milton

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 am

zacampbell wrote:thats really good to know, thanks! I've only really ever come across people that wash at 30/40 deg, interesting!

90deg! sounds a bit hot for nappies? but obviously works if you've done it :) I do one now and again just to clean out the machine.

x

No, not 90c with the nappies, on an empty machine. A maintenance wash should be done once a month or so, with nothing in the machine :)

My avatar
zacampbell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby zacampbell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 am

ahh I see, will give it a shot :)

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm

ladybird wrote:60c wash should be enough tbh. Hospitals use that temp. I believe. I wouldn't use sterilising solutions or sanitisers personally, I've no idea if Milton would damage the nappies, but some sanitisers can. I also found that 40c wasn't enough for our nappies.

With teething rashes, we found that the best thing was to use Ashtons and Parsons powders. They seem to work better on the side effects of teething for us, far better than chamomilla teething powders/granules. We did have to use them regularly, a few times a day and keep using them for a few days after we thought the teething was over.

Another vote here for Ashton & Parsons, they worked fabulously well for James. Also nappy wise, I only ever used Bold 2 in 1 on my nappies and never had any problems washing at 40 deg. If I had some that were a bit stained as they went in, I added a bit of Bambino Mio powder as well.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Milton is bleach. I wouldn't use it on nappies TBH.

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I wouldn't use milton - what sort of nappies are they? AIO or two parts? If there are boosters you can put next to the skin you might be able to wash them at a super high temperature but not the rest of the nappies IYFWIM? I use terries and they can be washed at a very high temperature but I only ever washed my Bambooty AIO at 40deg. I can wash my LL bamboo inserts at 60 I think etc etc. Also - I use 'Zinc Castor Oil' cream as a barrier, my god it seems to cure nappy rash overnight here. It's also super cheap from Boots. My mum swore by it in the 70s and I can honestly say if I put it on bum rash first thing in the morning it's always gone within hours. Let us know how you get on!

My avatar
ellemonkey
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ellemonkey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am

I would go for a soak in milton if you are concerned there are some fungus on your nappies but wouldn't soak AIO's minkee or pockets. Just the 100% natural fibre ones. you could always go for a really strong tea tree/water solution if you have AIO's or pockets.

Just rinse twice after the soak but make sure you've nuked the washing machine too.

My avatar
ellemonkey
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ellemonkey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:37 am

You could always do a strong lavender oil soak too, lavender oil is anti-bacterial, anti fungal and if there is any left on your nappies after you have rinsed the oil is known to speed up healing from burns and reduces scarring.

Do you use washable wipes? if so what solution do you use? I found the source of nappy rash here was down to the wipes, i left them in a tub with just water and they started to pong after 2 days.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat