hf1

Just starting out in cloth

My avatar
sian55
Clothie
Clothie

Just starting out in cloth

Postby sian55 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 am

Hi, I'm new and just starting. I am building up my nappy stash slowly, aiming for about 25 day nappies. I have a very heavy wetter at night and having just read a review of the Holden Landing's Bed Bug night nappy plus I think I will try this out (second hand of course). If I wash every other day, do you think 4 night nappies and 25 day nappies will be enough? I have a line for outside drying and no tumble dryer.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Just starting out in cloth

Postby doobykat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:03 am

Hi there :wave:

Depending on the age of your LO and how often you change nappies, 25 days nappies & 4 night nappies should be enough :thumbsup:
We started out with that amount of nappies - well day nappies anyway, we used them heavily boosted as night nappies too initially - and although we have a tumble drier, I've hardly ever used it (maybe twice in the last 12 months) so it is possible to get by without one :D

We have a heavy night wetter too, but get on better with the Wee Notions Night Notions and Little Gumnut All Hours than we do the HL Bedbugs. Worthwhile trying out a few different ones to see which work best for you IMO.

We've now got double that amount of each type of nappy :oops: so always have spares to keep us going for a good few days, should I not be able to wash them, or get them dried for whatever reason.

Liz x

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 pm

I must have about 25 day nappies (DS is in sposies at night) and no tumble drier, I wash every other day and haven't had any problems :-D

My avatar
rosiesnappies
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby rosiesnappies » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:55 pm

We have about 25 nappies, and that works fine for us, even when I had two in cloth - but I was washing every day and a half!

My avatar
gemma_louise
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gemma_louise » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 pm

I have about 25 nappies (disposables at night) wash every 2-3 days and always have plenty spare. My son is 10 months & I change him every 2-3 hours so in a day about 5 changes. So even only washing every 3 days I still have 2 days of nappies left over and most my nappies dry in 1 day!

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 pm

We have about the same, we wash every other day. Don't forget wraps though for night nappies, wool is great! Although before we moved to wool we coped well with just 2 ME airflow wraps. If his night nappy was just wet, we'd rinse it and let it dry out over the day so one wrap would last 2 nights. xx

My avatar
sian55
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sian55 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:58 am

thanks! yes, wool. I'm reading up on it at the moment, but trying to convince myself and DH that wool could actually work! I'm sure it does it just seems strange. And doesn't it smell? still, mum wants to knit me something so it seems I just need to track down the right type of wool and give her the pattern. I'm feeling brave!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 am

sian55 wrote:thanks! yes, wool. I'm reading up on it at the moment, but trying to convince myself and DH that wool could actually work! I'm sure it does it just seems strange. And doesn't it smell? still, mum wants to knit me something so it seems I just need to track down the right type of wool and give her the pattern. I'm feeling brave!

:giggle:
You sound just like me when ladies on here recommended I try woollies over nappies - especially overnight! :shock:
They do honestly work though - the lanolin acts as a waterproof barrier but the wool remains breathable, so some of the moisture evaporates, or at least circulates.
As for smelling, no it doesn't! Leave the woollies to air inside out during the day and you'd never known they've been used. I've never had to wash any of mine due to smelling bad either. Much better & less stinky than PUL wraps which we used overnight for ages... :lookround:
Take a look at some of the woollie WAHM's yarn offerings - they're gorgeous :love: (Pixie Knits, Greenabubs, Woolly Wumpkins to name but a few that I've used personally & love :love: )

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Ive got about that many for day nappies - mostly pockets (so I can boost them if I'm going to shops etc) and a few fitteds for emergencies. I use Totsbots bamboozle stretch at night with a fleece wrap and I boost them with EP hemp and bamboo - they last for 12 hours and I love them!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat