Builder's Bum - end of the line?

My avatar
demonskitz
Clothie
Clothie

Builder's Bum - end of the line?

Postby demonskitz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi :)
DS is only 9 months but is 99th centile for height and weight, so chunky and long (in 12-18 month clothes!). We mostly use btp nappies and all of them are on the largest rise setting and have been for a few months! :shock: Now some of them are giving him a real builders bum! I was wondering if he will 'grow back into them' when he starts moving about more and slims down, or whether this is a length thing and it's the end of the line for these nappies?
It's a bit disappointing if you only get 9 months out of a nappy that supposedly does to potty-training! ... But on the other hand it does mean I get to go nappy shopping :D

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Builder's Bum - end of the line?

Postby angiepangie2809 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:22 pm

I would say keep hold of them for sure and don't panic as ethan seemed to be outgrowing his btp nappies at around 8-10 months but then he slimmed right down and is still wearing them now on the same settings and he was 2 yrs old in may. In fact he's so skinny now we are getting a bit concerned. They do change shape as they grow up ie taller iykwim? Hopefuly you will find that you get loads of use out of them yet. :-)

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hedgiemum63 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi there,

I'm new here and new to cloth nappies, so I may not know what I'm talking about, but I was wondering whether you had tried the Disana tie nappies?

http://www.naturalnursery.co.uk/cloth-nappies/organic-knitted-tie-on-nappy-disana.html

I've found them at Cuddlebabes.co.uk and Twinkleontheweb as well. They're a good price especially if you already have things you can put inside them to boost them with.

They aren't meant to be used alone, especially not for heavier wetters, but they seem to be very generous. I can't imagine them not fitting an older toddler, as they are very stretchy knitted cotton and have to be folded down quite a bit for a newborn. You can add any inserts/boosters/prefolds to them you want, and then cover the whole thing with whatever roomy fitting cover you have to use (as it turns out quite bulky when boosted a lot, but so, so soft and cute).

I know that some mums aren't keen on the idea of using nappies with ties, as they prefer poppers or velcro, or nippas even, but the Disanas do seem like the most likely to fit right through to potty for taller children.

have you looked at the Easy Peasy Bumper nappies? They offer them for bigger children, and they do them in bamboo now, as well.

https://sslrelay.com/s130978863.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154e3eda189606b/shopdata/index.shopscript

I found a thread on forum from the US where some ladies were discussing these, and some posted pics of the nappies in use with different aged children.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371257&page=11

if you scroll down on the page above (assuming the link will take you to it, lol), there's a cute photo of an older girl wearing one of the nappies.

Yvonne :D

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 pm

My baby was/is exactly the same. BTPs didn't last 5 seconds for us and he's been in larges for many months. He's almost a year now and has been in 18-24month babygros since he was under 11months. Eek!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Rufus is also between 97-99th centile for length and has been since birth, there did come a point when I thought he was going to grow out of his BTP, he was in Larges by 8 months and I had even ordered some XL when he started to walk, then within about 6 weeks he'd slimmed right down. The BTP are still not what I'd call high-rise on him but they fit and don't leak which is all that matters I guess!

I wouldn't rush to get rid of them

My avatar
demonskitz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby demonskitz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks ladies :)
I might not get rid of them just yet then!
I am finding sized nappies are fitting much better at the moment though so may get a few more to wear out and about. Builders bum is fine in the house but doesn't look so good in public! (especially when I'm trying to convert others to fluff :wink: )

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat