hf1

Not sure what to do now

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Not sure what to do now

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:06 pm

DD had been in sposies for a couple of weeks as she was experiencing a flare up of her eczema and the lower leg elastic of her cloth nappies was irritating it. It had all cleared up by yesterday so back into cloth we went! But I've just changed her and the eczema is back. Her whole bottom looked sore/irritated but it was particularly bad where the elastic of her BGs touched her skin. Could she be having a reaction to it? Nappies are newly stripped and I haven't changed my washing powder (Ariel) or routine at all.

She's back in a sposie for her nap - she refused to wear another cloth one saying that they made her sore. :( What can I do? After all the problems we've had with her mega weeing, I thought we'd finally found a stash that works for us. I can't afford to buy any more nappies and I think we're only a few months from PTing anyway (if I wasn't 36 weeks pg, we'd probably already have started TBH).

Can anyone help?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Not sure what to do now

Postby Shaunie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Has she always reacted to the BG's? Some LO's react to the stay-dry inner. Can't think of anything else right now hun.

ETA - paper liners caused awful bleeding rashes on Isaac :( but cleared within 24hrs of stopping use :D
Last edited by Shaunie on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:11 pm

we had this with Aimie when we were using AI2's and pockets, we switched her to fitted nappies with no stay dry inners (minky, fleece and suedcloth) and use paper liners and the problem has gone away

ETA we had a long time where we could use stay dry inners when Aimie was younger but she started reacting to them at about 12 months and we haven't been able to use them since

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Shaunie wrote:Has she always reacted to the BG's? Some LO's react to the stay-dry inner. Can't think of anything else right now hun.

ETA - paper liners caused awful bleeding rashes on Isaac :( but cleared within 24hrs of stopping use :D

No, BGs have made up a large part of her stash since we started with cloth and they've always been fine - the only thing about them that I've changed is the inserts (we use bamboo and zorb now) but that couldn't make a difference, surely? We use both fleece and paper liners (not at the same time, obviously!) and they've always been fine too...

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I'd find it hard to believe that bamboo was causing a reaction. Zorb is man-made though so could be that but if she's fine with other synthetic fabrics that I'd guess it's not likely :-?

Hope some-one comes along with some answers for you.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried cloth again this morning (thirsties prefold with weehuggers wrap) and her legs were terribly red and sore when I changed her after an hour and a half. I don't want to use sposies but neither can I continue to put her in nappies that are causing her pain.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 pm

I had to get rid of all our pockets, they all made LO's eczema much worse but I just put it down to the PUL since it has pretty much gone away using wool, so we're now in wool full time! Also, my all-time favourite nappies are disana tie-ons.. not as difficult as they look, really gentle on the legs but still easy to get a good fit cause it's a knit fabric, they're cheap and dry fast :wine:
I don't know if that would be the case for your LO though if only now you're having issues... have you tried wool at all, does it make a difference? Are other nappies just as bad as the BGs? I can't think of anything else, sorry... :(
Last edited by katyav on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
didifrench
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby didifrench » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm

It may be a reaction to the elastic, so maybe something like flongies, as it is quite loose could work? I don't suggest wool as my daughter reacted to it as well when she had a very bad rash, the wool was just making it worst around her legs.
She could also be reactiong to the detergents, as man made fabrics are a bit more difficult to rinse so keep a bit of residue. My daughter developped one day a reaction to a sanitiser I have been using for a while, so took me a bit of time to know what it was. Do you always wash at 60?

That is all I can think about that haven't been suggested before.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 pm

didifrench wrote:She could also be reactiong to the detergents, as man made fabrics are a bit more difficult to rinse so keep a bit of residue.

Oh, and this! Noticed a massive improvements when we switched to soapnuts - yes, they're not always as good as normal detergent with stains so I use washing powder and rinse lots a couple of times a month, but the difference was really noticeable.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat