Mum to be needs help with newborn system

My avatar
Gemzie14
Clothie
Clothie

Mum to be needs help with newborn system

Postby Gemzie14 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:27 pm

I have cloth nappy research overload!
I am a first time mum to be who wants to use cloth. I am absoloutely fine on birth to potty nappies and which ones I want but I am having such a hard time deciding on the newborn stage. I know my BTP are unlikely to fit when baba is born so have been looking at possible systems I can either put away for another baby or sell on to fund the addiction :giggle: . I have found a pack of 15 tots bots teenyfits in Tesco but am a little worried they are just going to leak!

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.211-5745.aspx

I got all excited because the price and quantity are perfect to see me through as I am going to be recieving nappies as gifts and don't want to take the mick. However after more research I know that tots bots easyfit v1 has had some poor reviews leaks wise but I can't find information on if the teenyfits had a v1 and if these were anygood. I guess I am scared about the price of these! Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to find a nappy for the newborn stage until she can fit in my birth to potty nappies. Also any suggestions on a cheap, very reliable system you can think of instead would be great- I don't want to use prefolds. Other nappies I have looked at are lollipops with wraps and bamboozle stretch, really liked the fact the teenyfits were all in one and cheaper though :x

Thank you

Gemma. x

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Mum to be needs help with newborn system

Postby anothersquish » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Id go with the bamboozle stretch over the teenyfits. Many, many people have trouble with teenyfits after the couple of weeks as they are not very absorbent.
The stretchies on the other hand are more absorbent and more reliable for poop containment (esp when combined with a decent wrap or wool) and are perfectly adequate for night times in the first few weeks/months (and they are roomy enough for extra boosting if you find you need it)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Congrat's on deciding to go cloth!
I found the researching bit can be a bit overloading.
My advice - get a few of a few different types, because until baby is here, you won't know exactly what suits you in terms of absorbancy, fit, convienience. If you have a heavy wetting skinny long baby, you'll find that you prefer different nappies to someone with a light wetting chubbier baby IYKWIM!

Turns out both my children have been tiny and low birth weight (Eleanor even more so) and skinny.
So my pre-baby research was no use really.

In terms of the teenyfits - I loved them in the early stage! Great fit, very reliable and no leaks. They don't absorb much, but adding a little lamb bamboo booster instead of the microfibre one that is supplied with them really helps (quite a few other mums on here have done the same!)
I'll find a picture for you of one on Eleanor if it helps you see the fit on a teeny baby!

My avatar
Gemzie14
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Gemzie14 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Thank you for your replies, :hug:

do you think the low price on the teenyfits is because they are all white and Tesco deal? I will have bamboo boosters that come with my BTP nappies I could use anyway. x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I think thats a good deal personally and woudl they hold good resale value? anyone know? i haven't used the teenyfits myself

i never bothered with newborn nappies i just used terry squares and i didnt want to spend money of something that would be quickly outgrown. i will be doing same again next time too. It depends on your budget i suppose

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm interested in this thread! What would constitute a good wrap? Can you buy a wool wrap ready to use? The 5 pack of bamboozle stretches seem to come with a wrap. Is one enough fir 5 nappies? I've only uses Aios and pockets! I think I will only use part time with a new born until I fond what works for us xx

My avatar
Gemzie14
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Gemzie14 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Yeah the bamboozle stretch packs come with a wrap/ wraps. I heard that thirsties duo wraps were very good too. I was looking at the size 1 20 pack of bamboozle stretchies that has 8 wraps and paper liners in it. I thought this kind of pack would have a good resale value and fits for longer than the tots bots (although alot more expensive. I have not heard bad reviews reliability wise about the bamboozle stretch which is good because I don't want to put my husband off with our first lot of reusables.
Gem. x

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:14 pm

The motherease rikki wraps are really good all round wraps I find!
As long as the wrap fits snuggly around the waist & legs with no big leg gap, but not too tight, then the wrap will work.
You can reuse the same wrap at a nappy change as long as it's not soiled or overly wet on the leg elastic, so 5 nappies to 1 wrap is fine.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:48 pm

I used teenyfits on my DS and they were fab, tho they did need to be boosted after the first few weeks as he could out pee them in under 2 hours. The Little lamb bamboo boosters fit perfectly in the teenys if you folded them in half, and that added a lot of extra absorbancy int he wet zone and made them last 4hours+ He only grew out of his teenys on the rise at about 20 weeks old :giggle: so we got a lot of use out of the teenys. I know a lot of the other mums on here like megansmummy and littlemissaverage used teenys a lot at birth and liked them too and they have got a good resale value on the classifieds too.
My main newborn nappies were teenys, diddy diapers and size 1 little lambs. It took a few weeks before he fit into the little lambs, but they were fantastic and he is now wearing his size 1's and his size 2's as night nappys. When I do it again I am deffo going to use teenys and little lambs, tho I probably wouldnt use the didy diapers again. They were fine and were a good cheep stash builder (£4.99 each new) but he out pee'd them really quickly and I just prefered the look and the fit of the little labs over the diddys.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat