Nappy rash.8 weeks in, please help!

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Nappy rash.8 weeks in, please help!

Postby hedgiemum63 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm new around here and new to cloth. My baby daughter, Sarah, is almost 10 weeks old now and I've been using cloth since she was two weeks old. She had to take antibiotics for an unbilical infection from granulation she got on it (too much leftover tissue, it went bad), and then got really frequent, bloody poo. She developed a bit of a rash and also got thrush in her mouth which reached a peak recently.

Now, I've been treating the nappy rash with sudocrem/bepanthen/metanium/lanolin etc, all of which have made improvements, along with regular changing and washing. However, she seems to have little bright red spots on her labia and in two rows along her bottom. The rest of her skin actually looks okay and she doesn't seem uncomfortable, but the spots just don't seem to completely go away. They seem to fade a bit but come back again every so often.

I have clotrimazole cream for my nipples to use on her bum if need be, and also grapefruit seed extract to treat her mouth...should I stop using the barrier creams and try the antifungal cream alone? :x

I'm so disheartened that I've put her in the disposables I bought before I decided to spend money on cloth. :oops:

Do you reckon it's thrush she has or should I just keep going with treatments and hope it completely goes away at some point? I don't want to think she's got nappy rash simply because cloth is no good for her skin, but if it comes to it I may end up sticking with sposies, which I feel gutted about, actually.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this type of spotty rash, I'll be very grateful.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Nappy rash.8 weeks in, please help!

Postby confusinglady » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 pm

It might be worth getting a health visitor or doctor to look at the spots just to see if it is nappy rash or not. Not that I think it's anything sinister it s just my eldest used to get regular bouts of spots in her nappy area that would come and go for a long while. They were a certain kind of harmless rash that kids can get on different parts of the body and spread by touching them. I really can t remember what they were called.

Just thinking you would know for sure what it is and then therefore how best to treat it.
I ve always found that nappy rash has been a red sore bottom that causes them distress but others may have different experiences. I ve found this is worse when I ve used paper liners.

Good luck I hope you manage to sort it out xxx

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

It does sound like it could be thrush. When we had a round of thrush(oral, nipples and bum) I only worked out what was happening because of persistent nappy rash much like you describe.

I stopped using barrier creams completely as they seemed bmto be feeding the problem and used an antifungal cream- there are a few if clotrimazole doesn't work! I also washed my nappies at 60 (used the ones I could do that with) to kill the infection in them.

I hope things clear up soon for you both as nappy rash isn't fun.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:15 pm

I was going to suggest washing at 60 to make sure the bacteria are not present any longer. I would suggest lots of nappy free time and if it is thrush, then we found clotrimazole rubbish, we ended up using a combination of a steroid anti fungal cream. I have to say we ended up going to sposies as we were away at the time and changing every hour so just mad. :hug: For lo and you, raw shea butter can be very good for thrush if that is what it is.

My avatar
hedgiemum63
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hedgiemum63 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi all,

thanks for your advice; I'm washing at 60 anyway, so hopefully that will prevent lurking thrush from becoming a permanent pest.

I've been putting a little clotrimazole on under barrier cream and it seems to be clearing! I can't help wondering whether it has been a bit of thrush, or whether the ulprit might be paper liners...I was too nervous to use Sudocrem with fleece liners in case it clogged them up.

I'm trialling using olive oil as a light layer of protection in future...will it wash out of fleece liners?

Thanks!

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 pm

:wave:

if it's "spotty" rather than "rashy" :giggle: it sounds like thrush, we get a lot of that in this house (Tegan currently has it on her neck under her trachy :( ) anyway her consultant told us last week to stop using barirer cream as the thrush can live in the pot so you are just spreading it each time you apply and just to use cannesten as that actually kills it rather than spreads it. So maybe a combination of just a cannesten type cream (you can get it from HV no need for trip to dr's) and continue washing at 60 in the hope you get rid of any lingering germs should erradicate it completely and you can continue to grow your cloth :love: affair :giggle:

HTH

xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat