hf1

I haven't a clue what to buy.newbie needs help!

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

I haven't a clue what to buy.newbie needs help!

Postby ALL5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 pm

I am very confused about what to buy to get me started.

I was going to go for a pocket nappy, maybe bum genius or fuzzi bums...but was told that they take ages to dry, and I don't have a tumble drier.

Then I looked at the bambino mino (are these called a prefold and a wrap) and they looked great, but I gather from this site that they are not great for absorbancy.

I have seen people talking about a AIO...is this really all in one...won't that take an age to dry.

And fitted nappies...are these pockets nappies, or prefolds, or can they be both, put just fitted.

I would love a list of what to buy to get me started...I know it depends on the baby etc regarding what works and what doesn't but a sort of 'bum proof' list to get me started would be so appreciated. I am having my baby in 6 weeks and really want to order something.

Thanks so much for your help.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: I haven't a clue what to buy.newbie needs help!

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:17 pm

:wave:
Bum genious and fuzzies dry super quick themselves, it is the inserts that take longer to dry if you are using hemp or bamboo which are the best for absorbabcy.

Bamboo little lambs are a great starting point for a newborn stash, they are a fitted nappy so will require a pul wrap or wool cover like longies etc.

Teenyfits from tots bots are liked by many on here for newborns as well, they are a pocket nappy, some people get on ok with the microfibre inserts that come with them but as wetting increases something more absorbent needs to be added.

We didn't use cloth from birth with out last baby but hopeful will do this time, I am just going to get a mixture of nappies and see what works best, got a custom slot coming up soon whichis exciting!

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 pm

I don't have a tumble drier and find that bumgenius v4s and other pockets dry very quick. Flips are becoming my staple nappy as they dry super quick, are less faff than a prefold and fit nicely (i used them from when my baby was 6lb7oz). I also loved bumgenius aio's for when he was newborn- very easy to use and dried very quickly. I have some itti aio's and they take a while to dry. I use bamboozles and little lamb bamboo overnight- they take a while to dry without a tumble drier if it's a wet day and they can't go outside but i get round this by having a few of them :-) preloveds are great for trying different things! Enjoy!

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

thanks to you both.

Bamboo little lambs are a great starting point for a newborn stash, they are a fitted nappy so will require a pul wrap or wool cover like longies etc.

Just a qucik question on this...you say its a fitted nappy with a pul wrap, is that a 'prefold nappy', or is a fitted nappy with a pul wrap a different thing altogether?

Weebee, I will have to google your nappies and I'm sure I will have questions for you also

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm

So just to confirm...the bumgenius and flip are one size pocket nappies? So in order to avoid bulk I should then get a fitted on for a newborn? If I have this correct then I am making some headway :)
Last edited by ALL5 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:10 pm

fitteds can be bulky on a newborn. Little Lambs are a fitted nappy that require a wrap or cover (wool is fab but that is a whole other world). A lot of people like to use a prefold (modern day version of a terry square) with a wrap, I am going to give them a go with this one, they are a good way of bulking out your stash.

Not sure I am making sense to you, I need sleep lol

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 pm

I think I have it, a fitted or a prefold is used with a warp?

My avatar
Debbie81
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Debbie81 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:37 pm

yes! its sometimes called a two-part system for obvious reasons! :D
i would say a sized fitted + wrap is a good way to start IME. it can be a little bulky but then everything is on newborn!! the best way forward is to get a few different things, pre-loved so you can see what works for the shape of your baby. plus something totally im-practical that you just love!!! :D :giggle:

there's a ton of info and it can be a bit of a head-mince!! maybe try and find a nappy-cino so you can see and touch things IRL...?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 pm

I felt like this starting off with my dd and ended up putting it off for months. In the end I just bought 5 bg's and then had more of an idea of how things worked. It's easier tounderstand when tour actually using them! Then build your stash fro
there. Reccomend bg one size pocket and little lamb!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat