hf1

I haven't a clue what to buy.newbie needs help!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: I haven't a clue what to buy.newbie needs help!

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 am

All5 - where abouts do you live?
Might be worth seeing if there is a nappucino near you or a nappy advisor.
A nappucino is a chance to meet with other cloth loving mums & mums to be who want to use cloth, over a coffee & feel, touch or stroke !! the nappies & ask as many questions.
I think it's always worth seeing them in the flesh - helps get your head round all the different types!

Also agree- getting one / two preloved ones is a great way of trying a few out without spending too much in case they don't work for you!

There's loads of help on here! If you are having any trouble with them, there will someone here with helpful friendly advice!

My avatar
june2007
Clothie
Clothie

Postby june2007 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 am

Is there a nappy rep near you or do your lending kit do nappy trials. Talk to a rep get them to do a demio in your home or contact your council. that way you can try before you buy and get your head round the jargon. You can find out if there's a lollipop rep near you by going to there site and askeing them directly. You may well find that you prefer to mix different styles for day/night and going out.

My avatar
Bloom
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bloom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am

If I was doing my newb stash again it would be a mixture of teenyfits and bimbles.

Good luck with it.

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 am

Here's a nic little website showing you a video of different nappies on a newborn and explaining the different types
http://www.littletreehugger.ca/cloth_diapers_101.html

Here's another one explaining the different types
http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-diapers-101.shtml

My LO was tiny. I used little lambs size 1(fitted), diddy diapers(fitted), easy peasy bimbles(fitted), teenyfits(AIO with a pocket) and lil' joeys (AIO) nappies. I used motherease and naturebabies wraps. Started using BTP(birth to potty) nappies when she got to about 7-8lbs.

Hope this helps :wave:

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am

ladies thanks so much for your help. I now understand the different varieties plus I now know what I am going to start off with.

I live in Ireland and there isn't alot going on over here regarding cloth nappies. it is an hour drive to a store that sells a couple of different types of nappies, only a few though, and they are sold out of BG...so I am turning to you :)

I am going to take your advise and order a couple of second hand ones. The same names have come up so I am feeling very confident now about making a purchase.

One more question though...I understand the BG one size comes with two inserts...is it the norm to use a different insert, such as a bamboo insert, if extra absorbancy is required...is there a 'one size insert' fits all or do I have to take measurements.

thanks.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat