hf1

Would you skip new-born nappies with a history of big babies

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Would you skip new-born nappies with a history of big babies

Postby Shaunie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm

I know it's was too early to be thinking about nappies, let alone buy any but I have been wondering what mamas of larger babies have done.

Jonah was 10lb 7oz & Isaac was 9lb 3oz so we skipped newborn anything! Would I be better going straight for small nappies?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Would you skip new-born nappies with a history of big babies

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 pm

You could get a few newborn ones preloved just in case - and always handy for the meconium poop stage if you plan to use from birth.
Or use terries/muslins for a week or so if you have a smaller than expected baby

What smalls do you have already?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:58 pm

I only have one and that because there was enough fabric left when I had a NN made for Isaac that I have that! I won't buy a thing until after the scan at least but I can plan in my head now :lookround:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Possibly yes, especially if your baba is over 10lbs. Mia is 10lb 11 and has already outgrown her XS OWWs and NB Holdens Landings and is starting to wear her S nappies now with the exception of Dunk n Fluff and Hollow Oak. The XS DnFs will fit for a good few weeks yet and the NB Hollow Oaks still have growing room but not much. I do have to boost the HOs though to get them to last longer than 1.5 hours.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Oops, I've already started buying (although I started before I was even pg!) I'm buying mainly smalls but I've got 14 size 0 Kissaluvs, a bunch of prefolds and a couple of other newborn nappies (though they look tiny!). DD was 8lb1oz (15 days early) and gained almost 1lb a week in the early weeks so was 10lb after 3 weeks and btp nappies fit . We can hire from our local nappy network for 50p a week per nappy so I'll have her on standby with a bunch of xs nappies if we need them.
For us it was the rise that was outgrown first, DD was in larges from about 6 months but never had any nappy on the loosest poppers.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm

i tend to have big bubbas, ds was 8lb8oz, dd was 9lb4oz. i think if i have another i'll mostly get smalls. small itti's and size 1 ll's fit dd from birth. might get a couple of xs's but only if they're cheap in the classifieds as there's a huge chance they'll not be needed. i did use muslin for a couple of weeks for dd, but not sure if i'd do that again. cheap and v quick drying was a definite plus but not sure i can be bothered with the fancy folds and i hate pad-folded nappies :oops:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I possibly would yes but get perhaps a few really basic in nb.
I have no clue what size ish this baby will be after having, 8lb, 9lb and 6lb 8oz babies :giggle:
I am just starting to buy now really but so far only have 5 nappies a could of prefolds and a wrap lol

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 pm

I think I'd go for smalls and also have a few LL and they're totally adjustable and, if u do have a smaller baby, they should fit nicely.
I have never bought NB nappies, I honestly think that they're not worth it - unless u have a prem or a tenny baby, then thats a whole other issue.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm

I'd definitely skip newborn. Callum did fit into xsmall Sandy's, but only for about a week and I had to boost them from birth. The xsmall OWW I got for him was way, way too small from birth. He fit well into smalls - Dunk N Fluff mainly and stuff I made using the Darling Diapers (same as DnF) pattern. And also fit well in the BTP nappies I had. In fact, there's a photo of him at about four days old wearing an Itti Bitti - it's a medium and it's not on the tightest poppers. :giggle:

ETA: Even Iris (8lb 15oz) fit well into our BTP nappies at birth and went straight into smalls, not newborn.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat