hf1

Washing at 40 lots of opinions plz!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Washing at 40 lots of opinions plz!

Postby ladybird » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 pm

lol, I'll go against the grain. I always washed at 60 and didn't have any problem with my nappies. If I washed at 40c though, I'd find my boys got nappy rashes and personally I didn't feel that they were clean enough as 40c isn't enough to kill bacteria in poo filled nappies.

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm

+ still i agree with ladybird!! :oops: im too much of a clean freak i think :-?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 pm

i used to religiously wash it all at 60 to kill bugs. but then i had to put my logical hat on. we have bacteria on our hands from all sorts of things including sorting the dirty nappies. we trust that our soap will kill the bugs, we (well most of us) don't wash our hands at 60 in order to achieve this. the washing powder is just a soap formulated into grains instead of a bar/liquid. so i have to trust that it will deal with the bugs.

so now i always wash at 40 unless dd's having a particularly bad day with really icky poos, which she seems to have quite often lately.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:10 pm

I get what you are saying, but I don't think a pile of smeared poo, on cloth, is quite the same as wiping with a wipe and then washing skin. Quite different 'materials' being washed. For me it was more about the nappy rashes, I'd rather wash at 60c and not have the rashes, than wash at 40c and have my child in discomfort ;)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:12 pm

I was a 60 degree washer as well, never did any of our nappies any harm at all x

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 pm

i will see how i feel when this wash finishes! :wink:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm

I wash at 60 too - we have really hard water here and my nappies just didn't look or smell particularly clean after a 40 wash.

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I was a 60 degree washer as well, never did any of our nappies any harm at all x

Same here. Never had any probs with my nappies. In fact just checked the label in my bitti tutto and it says 60 degrees :wink:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 pm

I always wash at 60, I found that they didn't get clean enough at 40.

I have pockets now in their third year of use which are still waterproof :smile:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat