My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Dyeing tots bots

Postby beck » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 am

Hi girls

Just after some quick advice, what does everyone think of dyeing Tots Bots - would it work? I just won 5 off ebay for $31.50 I'm so excited about my bargain!

Any advice would be great!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Yes Beck it would, I have read about it somewhere but can't remember where and tried to google it with no luck!! I'm sure I've heard of someone using the Dylon type dyes that you shove in the washing machine, that would work on cotton. Or if you are worried about chemicals you could find out about natural dyes (thinking along the lines of onion skins not that thats a very nice colour¬!!!!! :roll: .

I'll see what else I can find out. Why dont' you do one and see how it goes?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Thanks Tory

I think I might do that - just try one to start with.

Thanks for the reply

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Hello,
you need to check that the dye is suitabke fir the fabric composition of the nappy. Some will dye the cotton content but not the polyester.

For examplye. most cotton terry nappies are 90% cotton, 10% polyester- the polyester being the threads that the cotton loops are woven through to minimise shrinkage and pulling of threads. Therefore with a dye for cotton, the loops in the terry would dye easily but the polyester threads may not.

Just check your labels.

Cat.xx

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks Cat, Hope everything is going well with you and your family.

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:56 am

Hi Beck,

It's not too bad at the moment thanks. Have managed to get back to the sewing machine which helps, and as long as I don't think about what happened I am fine,otherwise I'm just in bits on the floor really.

Glad t be getting back in the swing of things TBH, I missed the work.

Arron is a peach of a baby, yells every 4 hours for his bottle. Amber is full of cold, Naomi has started nursery 1 day a week, Ashleigh is loving school and Sarah is being Sarah ( well at 9 years old that's the best you can expect.

They hand us these cute little babies and forget to tell us they get bigger LOL. Dreading her being a teenager.

Ah well, off to sew a few orders and get them posted. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Cat.xxx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat