hf1

Small or Medium?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Small or Medium?

Postby Shaunie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 pm

I will be buying small nappies (skipping newborn/xs) but I was just wondering what the fit is like size wise in some nappies between small & medium? Was thinking of WN's, D&F's, OWW's, Itti's etc.

I think I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't too much difference between S & M Itt's? So ladies, in your experience are there any nappies where I could get away with buying M's? Especially considering that my smallest baby was 9lb 3oz and gained lots of weight very fast!

Ta :D
Last edited by Shaunie on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Small or Medium?

Postby justme123 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:42 pm

Isabel is now fitting nicely in M for most brands - D&F, WN, etc. She is 11 weeks old, but im not sure what she weighs. She was 10'10 at 6 weeks :-) They are fairly bulky but not too bad. She's been in them for several weeks as night nappies at least. We used mostly diddy diapers / sz1 bamboozles during the day and fancy fitteds at night. Now they are fitting a little more trimly I am using the pretties in the daytime (with sz2 LLs). I can take some pics if you're interested?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm not sure if this helps at all or not...
DD was a big baby (9lb4oz), but did fairly quickly dropped back to being on about the 25th percentile. She wore small DnFs until her first birthday. On her birthday, she weighed the same as her big brother weighed at 6 months. He was on about 75th percentile most of the time.

I would think that most babies would fit smalls until around 6 months or so. The mediums are really quite large, so I wouldn't think you could go straight for them even with a large baby.

eta: crossed posts with a very different answer!

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Id buy Small DNFs medium Ittis, medium WN (with a couple of small of each thrown in for prettiness!)
Small DnFs still go on my almost 19 month old (28lb ish 97th centile for height) and fit him from birth (9lb) Small ittis fit great too but mediums started fitting him at 3 weeks (~12lb) and he had outgrown small WN pockets by 12 weeks but I started using med pockets and med WNNN from 12lb ish too.

I will add that T still EASILY fits medium DnF in rise and waist and they would have been too big on him til after 6 months.
Last edited by anothersquish on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Lucas is 23 weeks, but a long and skinny 14lb. He grew out of Teenyfits at 9wks but then stopped gaining weight and slimmed right down and they fit again, but don't absorb enough. He's been in medium ittis from around 9wks old (around 12lb) and we didn't bother with smalls. He still fits the small DNF really well, they are generous so would be worth getting I think, though I don't have any mediums to be able to compare fit. I have been impressed with the WNOS as it fit well from 12lb and wasn't too bulky. Haven't bothered with SS yet. We're mostly in the BG aio smalls, medium ittis and the DNF + some other random fitteds

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm

I have a small D&F which still fits fine round the waist but I find a little low on the rise. I prefer the fit of the medium. I do have very long rise babies though! When she wakes up and I change her I will take pics of both for comparison :-)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Mia is about 11.5lbs atm I think and her small WN pockets are too tight on her thighs. She is wearing small Northern Lights with extra rise and there is loads of growing room left. If I were you I'd get M pockets (you can always get standard rise ones) and S Northern Lights with the extra rise. I wouldn't buy too many Ittis TBH, as they might not fit. Mia's smalls never fit her well at all so I am not going to bother getting any in bigger sizes. M DnF are HUGE! Mia is still in her XSs and won't be outgrowing them anytime soon so I'd definitely get smalls. M OWWs are a similar size to S DnFs so you could probably get away with buying Ms of those.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 pm

anothersquish wrote:Id buy Small DNFs medium Ittis, medium WN (with a couple of small of each thrown in for prettiness!)
Small DnFs still go on my almost 19 month old (28lb ish 97th centile for height) and fit him from birth (9lb) Small ittis fit great too but mediums started fitting him at 3 weeks (~12lb) and he had outgrown small WN pockets by 12 weeks but I started using med pockets and med WNNN from 12lb ish too.

I will add that T still EASILY fits medium DnF in rise and waist and they would have been too big on him til after 6 months.

Jake's about the same size as your T, but I cannot squeeze him into a medium DnF. No way would he fit. The rise is way too low and the legs just will not do up!!

Those of you who were around in Jake's first few weeks know he fit into large nappies at 5 weeks old, but he put on weight phenomenally quickly (1.5lb some weeks :shock: ). I wouldn't buy newborn sizes if I was to do it again, I would get some smalls, but I would pad them out with Little Lambs or something else simple that went a bit beyond the normal small size IYGWIM.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 pm

anothersquish wrote:Id buy Small DNFs medium Ittis, medium WN (with a couple of small of each thrown in for prettiness!)

Gosh this just goes to show how different they all are, G was wearing large DnF's at 28lbs age 2, she doesn't weigh much more than that now age 3 !!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat