Newborn tarry poop?!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Newborn tarry poop?!

Postby Bluebell » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi ladies

I am due to give birth on the 19th September and I have a nice little stash of newborn nappies ready to use... we didn't use cloth when DD was newborn, she as about 3 months when we started using our BTPs. So, does the newborn tarry poop wash out of newborn nappies? I hadn't planned to use liners as we have never really got on with them in the past and because we mainly use fleece lined pockets in the day, we haven't really needed liners. I don't particularly mind a few stains as long as they will sun out, but from what I remember neworn poop is really sticky and icky... please give me some advice before I give birth!! We have a mixture of AIOs/pockets/fitteds in the newborn size.

Thank you!

PS we have some big bags of cotton wool, one of which will go to hospital. At what point is it best to switch over to washable wipes? I was thinking of just using up our old supplies of cotton wool and then moving over to cloth.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Newborn tarry poop?!

Postby Frances » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:35 pm

I used cloth from birth and the metanium didn't stain at all.

I didn't bother with cotton balls and used washable wipes (with just water, no solution) from day one.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Oh briliant, thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Exactly the same as Frances - cloth and cloth wipes from first nappy and never had any problems. The meconium did stain slightly but less than some BF nappies :giggle: and it all suns out anyway.

Couldnt be bothered with cotton wool balls and was glad too as all the MWs commented on how good the wipes were at cleaning up meconium etc. Made changing much easier and cleaner.

How exciting, NB fluff is gorgeous :babyroll:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Eleanors 1st nappy was a cloth one - and she did poop in it and it didn't stain.
unfortunately I cant' advise after that because she had to go into disposibles because she was so teeny.

I wouldn't bother with cotton wool - its no good with meconium - take some cloth wipes in with you and just use water.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:42 pm

we used cloth from birth and didn't have stains, though I did use fleece liners as we were using mostly Teenyfits and needed a dry layer.

I used small cloth wipes for the first week or so (the size of a cotton wool pad) and then just my normal ones. So much better than trying to use cotton wool! The midwives at the hospital loved changing Lucas when I was stuck on the bed and they were helping me! :) They kept getting the other mw's in to check out his nappies and wipes and pretty wet bags! :giggle:

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 am

No stains here and we used cloth from birth! Just put them on a cold rinse first then 60 degree wash. BF poo was another matter!!!! But the stains have now sunned out of them over the summer.

I was rather smug in hospital as all the midwifes seemed impressed over how cute our cloth was and also showing them off to the other mums who were complaining of leaks and changing clothes by the minutes!

Yvette x

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for all your replies, getting excited now! Nice to hear about the midwives too... I was expecting them to not be too impressed with cloth TBH :roll: I better get some more wipes then :giggle: Any recommendations for a newborn? (preferably instock as I'm booked in for a section next week!)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 am

I used cheeky wipes terry wipes on izzy which were perfect size for newborn BUT if i was being fussy i would say go for organic cotton or bamboo just for the squishyness :giggle:

I had terry squares for the newborn phase so they always came out stain free on a 60 wash :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat