hf1

Argh super wetting teeny baby and night nappies!

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Argh super wetting teeny baby and night nappies!

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:37 am

Iona wore a newborn Puddlekins All Hours nappy with an extra piece of zorb in to bed last night under a wool soaker and she looked gorgeous with a wooly weeble bottom! :D

The nurse didn't change her this morning when they did her first set of obs so she wore the nappy for 10hrs in total. When I went to change her the nappy was absolutely drenched (you could have squeezed it out) her wool was really wet and her sleep suit and sheet were wet too.

She's only 4lb 8oz at 3 months old (but long and thin so she is still in up to 3lb vests and we can easily get an up to 4lb sleepsuit over a cloth nappy with room to spare) so a hell of a lot smaller than a standard newborn so whilst she's a very heavy wetter for her size due to being on a continuous pump feed and takes in very large volumes of feed for her weight I wouldn't have thought she wees more in 10hrs than a 'normal' size newborn.

How long will it take to get the nappies up to full absorbancy? When I got the 2 nappies I put them through a short rinse in the machine, left them to soak in a bowl of water for 24hrs and then have put them in the machine twice when I have been doing a normal nappy wash (which is a long rinse, long wash cycle and then several rinses after). Trying a small one isn't an option as the newborn is huuuge on her and Findlay wears a small All Hours as a day nappy on the tightest snaps at 15lb 10oz due to him being long and thin too.

I know the compression wicking from the wool with her not moving won't help but I haven't managed to find any pul wraps that are small enough (I bought one that fits from 4lbs and it's huge on her as Iona is long but thin) and I know some of you have used wool from newborn without a problem. I'm hoping once I can get a nappy that is absorbent enough it won't be such an issue as I really want to have her in cloth as much as I can as she feels a bit more like my baby rather than the hospital's baby when she's in her cloth and wool. Honestly people should never underestimate how much making a baby look like an obese weeble can help bonding in a difficult situation!!

Also as the wool got very wet am I going to need to wash and relanolise it before she can wear it again or will it be ok just to air dry and reuse tonight? She's only got one soaker small enough for her so if I need to rewash it she'll have to be in a sposie overnight.

Any advice would be fab! Sorry if the post doesn't flow very well I'm shattered as I've got a cold and sinusitis, bleurgh!

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Argh super wetting teeny baby and night nappies!

Postby ramsons » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I had a puddlekins newborn all hours with ds2, but I used it with wool interlock wraps over the top and didn't have a problem with them. The ones I had were double layer merino interlock and came prelanolised though (popolini).
Although he was 6 weeks premature he was breastfed and I can't remember how long he was going in a nappy. Certainly I never had to use the zorb booster with the puddlekins.
If the wool is really wet I would relanolise it, but I'm an interlock lady not a knitter .Not sure that helps? xxx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:31 pm

I boosted ours with an Itti mini booster until they were up to full absorbency. They make great nb boosters.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 pm

If the wool was wet, it does need re-lanolising. I imagine she is wetting so much because she has the continous feed thingy but she is only small so I can't imagine that there is that much liquid going into her. could you maybe add a LL bamboo booster to see if that improves things.

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 am

It lasted 10hrs last night (nurses didn't bother to change her again :( ) under a soaker with the small oval part from a hemp stuffin insert in the nappy as a booster and we had no wet sleepsuit or sheets this morning! :D

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:45 pm

That's great :thumbsup:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat