Boo hoo, poor me, sob, etc.

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Boo hoo, poor me, sob, etc.

Postby Cocobelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 am

Hi all

I'm feeling a bit fed up and sorry for myself because cloth just isn't going as well as I hoped it would. I've come up with a lost of pros and cons. So far the only pro I can think of is that I'm helping the environment. I had hoped to save money but with the amount of washing and drying I'm doing, I'm sure I'm spending more than I would on supermarket's own disposables.

Cons

Leaks. Every single cloth nappy I use leaks. This never happened with disposables.

Red marks. Yesterday it took the whole day for a red mark to disappear on my boy's leg. Obviously the wrap was too tight but if it's any looser, it leaks.

Washing/drying. I am washing and drying far more than I was before. Maybe I need more nappies, but I've already spent a small fortune.

Cloth doesn't seem to be benefitting my boy in any way. It's horrible to see him with sore legs and a sore bum. So why am I bothering? I'm sorry to sound so negative, but I'm just being honest.

I so want this to work and I guess I'm just looking for some advice and encouragement.

Thanks.

Coco x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Boo hoo, poor me, sob, etc.

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 am

What sort of nappys are you using and what is your wash routine? WE couldn't use wraps as they left red marks.
Not sure why you are getting leaks, if the nappy fits properly and is absorbent enough it shouldn't :-?

As for washing, how often are you washing and do you tumble dry from wet?

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 am

Hi

I'm using a mix of sandy's motherease with motherease airflow wraps (these rarely leak but they are huge, ugly and leave red marks), tots bots easyfits (neat and easy but take ages to dry), bumgenius (my favourite so far as they don't leak all the time and dry more quickly than tots bots as I can tumble dry the inserts), and weenotions (I've actually just started using weenotions this morning, will see how it goes). I have a baby beehind

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 am

Sorry, didn't mean to post!

I have a baby beehind night nappy, which keeps him mostly dry but leaves red marks, and a bambooty nights which was totally useless (he was soaked in the morning).

I'm washing every day and drying what I can straight from wet.

I have tried sunning out stains but it hasn't worked so even my new nappies are stained already after just two weeks.

Thanks for replying. xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 am

What sort of inserts are you using? I have heard only good things about easyfits, perhaps the pul needs re sealing, a 5-10 min tumble on hot will do that.
What washing powder are you using, you could have build up.

To cut down on drying costs I air dried over night then finished of in the dryer the next day for 20 mins or so

My avatar
Cocobelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Cocobelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

Hi

I'm not entirely sure what sort if inserts I'm using. They have fleece on one side and then what looks like towel material on the other. I'm a bit useless, really. I got them free.

The tots bots are only a couple of weeks old so I would be very disappointed if they were failing already. Maybe they're just not a good fit on my boy. They only ever leak at the top. They are fine round the legs.

Coco x

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 am

Hey hun , it just takes abit of experimenting and seeing what works for your bubba and what doesn't :-)

Have you seen the classifieds on here? There are always loads of things you can buy at a fraction of the cost and you can sell whatever doesn't work for you too!

How old is your baby?

Sounds like you need some liners ( fleece blanket from poundland cut up will do you a good dozen!! ) and also some boosters / inserts. We could get maybe 1 hour MAX from bumgenius as the inserts are only microfibre which is like a sponge-leaks when full :wink: you need something absorbent to go underneath - hemp , zorb or bamboo :-) this goes for any nappy really regardless of make and whether it's a pocket or fitted.

Tbh I would possibly stick with disposables at night for now until you figure out days and how much absorbency you need , get that sorted and then move to nights :wink:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 am

Hi hun

:hug: :hug: :hug: Using cloth is a bit of a learning curve. It will get easier, promise. By the sounds of it, you don't have a massive wetter so that's a good thing.

The red marks - we found we got red marks because the binding on the wrap legs got wet rather than the wrap being too tight. The bindings are not waterproof so changing the wrap with every nappy change might help. Failing that, wool is a really really fab alternative. It is soft, breathable, allows your nappy to aborb more & your baby doesn't crinkle when you hold them :giggle:

Also, I think buying some little lamb bamboo booster would really help you. They are very absorbant & cheaper than changing all your nappies. They can be put in your sandy's & in the bambooty night (an easy peasy hemp in this too will really boost the absorbancy).

If you are washing everyday, you don't have enough nappies hun & you are making it difficult for yourself. An extra 5 or 6 nappies would make a huge difference.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:45 am

sounds like your inserts are microfibre which isn't absorbent enough at all, when it gets wet it squishes the wee out, you probably need to get bamboo and or hemp inserts, we used bamboo on top of hemp (not next to babies skin though, microfibe, bamboo and hemp shouldn't be next to babies skin).

The tots may just have wee holes from the manufacturing process which need sealing over, I have had to do that with a few weenotions nappies.

It is all about experimenting I am afraid to find out what works best x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat