hf1

Disintegrating elastic :(

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Disintegrating elastic :(

Postby choccylisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 am

So I bought some nappies (same brand) and within a few months all the elastic has gone. Sent them back with no problems to have it replaced, and put it down to a faulty batch of lastin. But now one of the legs has gone on another nappy, and I'm a bit :-? as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the mixture of hard water and the washing powder I'm using.

I rinse with cold water first, then wash at 60 using a dessert spoon of Bold 2 in 1 lavender and chamomile, then I rinse about three times. They're very very rarely tumble dried (in fact I think I've tumbled them twice in their lives).

Anyone have any wisdom?

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Disintegrating elastic :(

Postby weefywoo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:02 am

Your washing routine sounds fine to me, do the same but use a whole dose of bold due to the cruddy water in London :-? Could the lastin be from the same faulty batch?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:15 am

weefywoo wrote:Could the lastin be from the same faulty batch?

I'd be thinking the same thing!
worth calling/emailing them again

My avatar
NaturalNursery
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby NaturalNursery » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:00 am

Could it be the oils in the washing powder? I know that using essential oils can make the elastic go on lots of things.

Axx

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:42 am

my washing routine is the same as yours and i use bold aswell and so far haven't had any problems :) i would put it down to the elastin and get intouch with them again xoxo

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:50 am

I'm having the same problem with some of mine :-? though admittedly I got 10+ months out of this particular set before the elastic started to go.
I'm trying to work out where I'm going wrong too & my washing routine is similar to yours, Lisa. Starting with a cold rinse, then followed by a 60c full cotton wash, then followed by an extented rinse cycle to get rid of any remaining detergent.
I usually use Ariel bio to wash them with, ~50g/ml scoop (about 1/3 of the recommended dosage).
The only thing that makes me wonder if it's something other than my washing routine is that I've got older nappies than the affected ones that I've been washing in exactly the same way that are fine, elastic wise... :-?
Last edited by doobykat on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:57 am

if its little lambs they recently changed the maximum temperature from 60 to 40 degrees.

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:21 pm

It's so weird :/ I've emailed Weenotions as it's the pocket that Jenna and Kim bought me for ds3 that has now gone, just to see what they use. It's so weird. I've had it go in Weenotions before, but as they were both preloved I assumed long usage as the reason behind that. It's no other nappies I've ever had, so am wondering if it's lastin and not elastic that's behind it.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Have you tried switching to a different bold? Without the essential oils?
I use the orange one x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat